For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I do a direct USB transfer from my iPad to a connected PC of a load of photos / videos, why do all of the said photos / videos end up 'upside down' when then viewed on the PC ? On the PC, I would have to open each, rotate it and then save it again which is obviously a bit of a faff.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
rikur_ wrote:Which windows version are you using and which app for openning the photos?

Vista and just about every standard Windows App.

Spooky wrote:It’s an issue with iOS when you take photos. I encountered this during a design course (lots of photos to upload/use) and figured out that to have photos upright, you need to take them with the phone/iPad tilted to the left so that the home button ends up by your right hand.

Consistent, my home button will always be on my left when taking a video / picture.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:iceman - are you left handed?

No, but when taking video / pictures, for some reason, I am using my left hand to push the button.

Iceman 8)
By stevelup
The issue with using a tool like that is that it is lossy - it'll decode the JPEG, rotate the image and re-encode it again.

Probably not the end of the world, but you should use it on a copy of the photographs first just in case it makes a dogs dinner of them.

Iceman, whilst it is inconvenient, you'll probably find that the photos are actually fine. Even though they are being displayed the wrong way round on your PC, if you were to upload them to a photo sharing site or e-mail them to someone, they will probably be OK.