For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Korenwolf
With the RAF's 100th being in the news, the Daily Mirror yesterday published another set of images given the treatment by Royston Leonard. In amongst the usual fare was one that I found quite fascinating, it shows the funeral of Luftwaffe aircrew 'somewhere in England' judging by the bobby and the cars in the street. One wonders where the flags were sourced from during wartime...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/g ... s-12280723
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An impressive reminder that the British are capable of showing respect to our enemies, whoever they are. Do we still do so however, I wonder?

Where to get the flags? I'd imagine that Pinewood Studios had a few kicking about, as well as a few in store somewhere from the eviction of the German Embassy staff in 1939.

G
By kanga
Genghis the Engineer wrote:..
Where to get the flags? .. a few in store somewhere from the eviction of the German Embassy staff in 1939.

G

They, AIUI, would have been and remained property of the German Embassy/Legation, and probably left in the building which (probably sealed) would have become the 'German Interests Section of the Embassy of [the neutral 'protecting power', possibly as often the Swiss] for the duration. However, Foreign Office (Protocol Section) would probably have had some in precautionary store to hang from posts in, eg, The Mall, in case of a State Visit before the War.
By Rob P
It's because the two World Wars were fought in black and white as we all know.

Rob P
OCB liked this
In the 1950s a hawker did the rounds and offered to enlarge and "colourise" old family photos. Many took up the offer but the quality was rubbish. Not long afterwards another type turned up with an aerial picture sized photo of your property. If you didn't want the picture, then the ordinary photo was offered for £50. He must have done well out of it as these shots can be seen in many farms and houses in the north. I had heard that he operated out of Leeds.
By OCB
WWI - black and white, everyone walked really fast and was mute

WWII - mostly black and white, mostly mute, those who did talk - it was through 2 paper cups and a bit of string.

Vietnam - had the best music out of any 20th Century conflict (no denying Dame Vera her rightful place though)

Every conflict since then has been "sanitised", so no British TV reporters with dead combatants at their feet.

No judgement *why* that is of course, although I'm sure a certain Mr Orwell would have had a word or two to say...
Rob P liked this