For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Worth exploring more modern bank accounts. I now use Starling ...

I am enjoying a Curve card https://www.imaginecurve.com where you "load" all of your existing credit & debit cards (except Amex :evil: ) on to one card, and you can then choose which card a transaction comes out of via the mobile app. You even get up to 2 weeks to change your mind and use a different account. Works well for me as it allows me to ditch almost all of my cards in favour of just one. It also works where contactless doesn't, ie cash machines.
By PaulB
PaulB wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:You may be able to use it even if the card isn't contactless.

You can certainly use Apple Pay when the card itself isn't contactless. I've just done it (and more than £30 too at M&S)

... and the Co-Op allows Apple pay > £30.
By defcribed
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Adding "tips" into contactless transactions in pubs in London is apparently now a thing.

Absolutely. Listen out for the words "Happy with the amount?" when you are handed the card reader.

It seems an odd thing to ask, and you wonder for a moment why they've asked it - after all - the price of three drinks in a bar is not normally a matter for negotiation.

Then when you think about it you realise that what they really mean is "Please give your consent to me having added a tip to the price of the drinks, but I'm not going to explicitly say that because I don't really want you to know."
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AIUI we changed from Cupro-Nickel to Copper-coated steel coins, when the cost of production exceeded the face-value. Similarly, "silver" coinage is now of poorer quality.

Given that , the Government actually derive huge benefit " selling" currency that's never used or redeemed after first issue.
The Mint makes them a mint...yet another stealth -tax.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are we going backwards with this thread? First post .....
Cash -vs- contactless#1601529
By PaulB -  Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:58 am
The last post....By cockney steve -  Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 pm
......or is it just me? :scratch:

Nick.
By Miscellaneous
Nick wrote:Drrrr I read that as May, not Mar :pale: Must go to spec savers before I next Fly. :lol: Nick.

If you read it as May 2018 and accepted it as such, then considering it's April 2018, I think you're in need of help beyond what's on offer at Specsavers. :wink:
Nick liked this