For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Yep, I've had oil on the soles of my shoes a couple of times - both times luckily the cars had heavy clutches, so first time was kangaroo hop into the front of the garage door, thankfully made in the 50s of sturdy 2.5inch wood frame and quarter inch ply cover.

2nd time I was quick enough to grab it out of gear.
By OCB
Question to those who "do" their own tyres - how often do you get them balanced?

I noticed a definite "rumble" after fitting the summer wheels at the weekend. Thought it might just be the difference in tread etc, but it annoyed me enough to stop in at a friendly independent garage today (he restores old Porsches in is low periods, always fun to natter with him).

Wish he'd checked the balance first (that's what I'd have done), but he just ripped off the old weights and put new on. Rumble gone. Fair enough, the tyres are 4 yr old now and done 20km+; I shouldn't begrudge having the wheels rebalanced every once in a while :oops:
Insuring against the slim chance of a wheel being out of balance by paying some bod to do something (swapping winter > summer) that I can easily do at home seems to be money wasted to me. Much better to just get the wheels rebalanced IF any rumbling becomes apparent.
Rob P liked this
By OCB
Colonel Panic wrote:Insuring against the slim chance of a wheel being out of balance by paying some bod to do something (swapping winter > summer) that I can easily do at home seems to be money wasted to me. Much better to just get the wheels rebalanced IF any rumbling becomes apparent.

:shock:

The vast majority of economic theory says you are wrong, as do most of the assumptions behind pretty much every consumer tax law in existence.

Which is exactly why I continue to switch my wheels for myself, rather than pay someone else to do something I can do in, honestly, about the same time - all things considered.

I can't do the balance, and can't do tracking - not because I don't know how to, I don't have - or free access to - the kit any more.

As someone said on here a few years back, economic activity could be you cutting your neighbour's grass and you cutting his. You'd be liable for tax, payment in kind etc.

Do it yourself? By jeesuz - you're an economic terrrist!

Which, quite honestly, suits me fine - and I hope my kids pick up my contrary attitude to conspicuous consumption.
OCB wrote:
Do it yourself? By jeesuz - you're an economic terrrist!

Which, quite honestly, suits me fine - and I hope my kids pick up my contrary attitude to conspicuous consumption.

As I have posted a few times over the years :

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: and serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Belloc

Bill H
OCB liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^^^^ That bloody Belloc, what did he know? What about the impoverished "cockney" pensioners ? We've had, of necessity, to teach ourselves the skills and trades, in order to avoud making the "wealthy man" even more wealthy. (besides, the savings can be used as flying /sailing /motoring -tokens .) :D