For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
My 6 yr old gets drum lessons, and we have an electronic kit in the living room.

I fancy being able to batter out a few well known (easy) rock classics, but I have neither the time nor really the inclination to go to music lessons.

I see a number of online,dvd and even software options.

Anyone ever gone down that route?

I know deep down probably the best route is a couple of months with a tutor to get at least started in the basics correctly - but my inner geek is curious to know if it can be done without one!
Just give it a go. You can always go to a tutor later or go for a taster lesson.

You should be able to quite quickly play a 4/4 beat with bass, snare and hi-hat.

https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Basic-Beats-on-a-Drum-Kit

Having someone show you does help, especially with drumming, as it is so physical.

Why not ask your 6 year old for a demo?

(I'm not a drummer but played in bands as a yoof and used to get various drummers to give me 5 minute lessons - now all forgotten sadly. My advice to anyone who is hesitating about playing an instrument is just do it! )
I tried, but being utterly un-coordinated and generally inept (you should see my landings) I failed miserably. That said my ineptitude, and very low attention span, meant I didn't practice long enough, and not practicing left me inept! I'm not sure how a tutor would have helped - there's not much s/he can say apart from "You hit this bit with that". But maybe the tutor would have focussed my mind on practicing.

There are very many online and DVD based schemes, which might make a good half-way house.
I have a kit but wouldn't be so presumptuous as to call myself a drummer. Used to be a pretty handy keyboard player - so have the musical basics. I quite like Drumeo - lots of help available and a very active community of users.
I believe you'll find that most drummers are self taught .
One of my grandsons was given a set of drums a few years back , which he proceeded to smash hell out of for a few days and then promptly gave up....[ :thumright: ] That was my cue to swiftly assume custodianship.

When I asked a local guy who has been a pro-drummer most of his life if he did tuition , he just smiled and said that if you can beat 4 times with one hand to one time with the other hand then you're almost there.
Of course , like anyone talking about their strong subject , he was making light of it , but he wasn't that far off the truth either.
My advice is to not go in for the 'show-off' type stuff too early . Look at two of the worlds greatest rock bands , Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones , their drummers are more like metronomes , but they fulfil their roles superbly by just keeping perfect time.
I saw The Who in November 1970 [probably why I'm half-deaf] but Keith Moon , who was massively exciting to watch , was actually quite 'untidy' as a drummer.
But I reckon that as long as you get the basic snare/hi-hat rhythm , you can work from there.
Incidentally , Iron Maiden's drummer , Nicko Mcbrain is an interesting one to watch , I believe that he is self-taught and has a very unconventional style .
As JoeC says , just get in there and do it.. :D
One secondary reason I want to learn is my boy has a habit of conveniently “forgetting” what he needs to practice.

When it was easy easy stuff, I could follow the notation and “remind” him. Now I can’t do that.

i would love to be able to play tunes like Atomic Blond...as Homer Simpson said something like “I could be that good if I practiced every day for 10 years :mrgreen:
Cheers all :)

I’d be happy just to keep up with my boy, who is now getting onto everything from 1/4 to 3/4 rhythms on the various drums.

...and a bit of ZZ Top and Status Quo/Rolling Stones when it gets to “just too many beers” during BBQ reason :lol:

One huge problem I have is, as a classically trained violinist, is my right foot only ever wants to keep time. Trying to get it to do anything else is like having a possessed limb. Brain says “do 2/4 beat”, foot says “get lost! I’m doing 1/4 no matter what you up there say”

i didn’t realise so many pro drummers were self taught, although I guess many are thinking of bands of the 50s to 70s.

All my family of that generation were self taught on guitar, drums etc, but they had older brothers, cousins, neighbours etc to copy and act as mentor. I don’t have that luxury unfortunately
...well, we carefully cultivated the choice of instruments.

The oldest wanted to learn cello, but was told he was too young - so he reluctantly accepted piano (we already had a Yamaha Silent System piano at home). Turns out he is surprising good!

Middle kid went on about drums for over a year. So, he got a Roland electronic kit, and the nice man in the shop (yes, I believe in supporting music shops when possible) gave him a free set of Roland headphones :thumleft: He does have an amp, which does get used - but at suitable times.

The youngest had been mad about electric guitar since before she was 3. She also has, no coincidence, a good headset :)

She will start getting formal lessons in September., need to decide by end June which instrument. The missus is trying to dissuade her from electric guitar and onto something more “usual”...like flute. :?

I’m not giving up though..I have no problem annoying the neighbours, I just need silence from time to time!
Paul_Sengupta liked this