For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Chris Martyr
I feel mildly embarrassed putting this on , as I'm not used to being an 'OP'.

But , I was a little shocked at some of the Moderator reactions earlier today to some of the posts on here.

As far as I can make out , most of the postings [certainly on 'Non-Av'] are pretty inoffensive , or am I missing something ?
Also , what is offensive ? Many threads on here are normal everyday life type subjects , and certainly there will be the inevitable bits of humour thrown in , it would be a miserable old forum otherwise .

So what if people put unsuitable things on a thread about DVT suggesting sex with the cabin attendants ? Just remove the unsuitable material and have done with it . End of..!

One of the more delightful aspects of the 'Non-Av' section , is the high calibre of debate accompanied by maybe a bit of wit and a bit of humour. It is something that ladies/gents of a certain vintage do. Unfortunately though , people of a 'certain vintage' will also have been brought up in the 'Carry On' era , along with a bit of Francis Howerd , TWTWTW and a bit of 'Python' chucked in for good measure .

If you stifle debate down to a level where nobody at all gets offended , then that'll be the beginning of the end .
And whose interests will be served by that !

Perhaps I could suggest a further section , a 'Hall of Shame' type sin bin where these bad peoples posts are displayed for the week before being cast into the oblivion of the ether.

Moderation by all means , but please , not over-moderation . Most of the contributors on here are 'good guys' , but please bear in mind that most of the good guys actually may just have a bit of a waggish sense of humour too.
Kill that and something else may die along with it !
Flintstone, Nick, flybymike and 7 others liked this
By JoeC
I think your assumption that we're all the same, have the same sense of humour and 1970s viewing habits, so the mods should leave 'us' alone shows an utterly staggering lack of self-awareness. Which I suppose is the nub of the problem.

However, I remember the Monty Python repeats and deem my criticism of you to be 'witty' so you just have to suck it up and enjoy it based on your rules.
Last edited by JoeC on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga, PaulB liked this
By Bill Haddow
I was not able to read the questionable quote in question, so cannot comment specifically on it, but I am a bit surprised given the level of personal abuse and offensive personal remarks that seems to be tolerated.

I suspect that that was the reason for the departure of Awol, Propwash, and probably others.

Bill H
kanga, cockney steve liked this
By JoeC
Bill Haddow wrote:
I suspect that that was the reason for the departure of Awol, Propwash, and probably others.

Bill H

God, they took ages to get rid of. It wasn't Monty Python with them more the Oswald Mosley show circa 1960.

I can't think of a more humourless pair who simply brought dour right-wing doom to the forum in long-winded and crypto-racist posts.

Who's next?
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have no idea if you’re right about why people leave Bill but I can tell you that my own sabbaticals from here have been to escape the inanity of the place. I agree with Chris, it needs a bit fizz from time to time.

If people disagree with each other, let them. Just as they do in the real world. If someone oversteps the limits set here the mods will step in, as they already do. If we don’t like it we can move on.

I’ve no idea what was modded today and nor do I care. I’ve seen comments here and on other forae that have been at odds with my own standards but I do what most normal people do and ignore them.

I also read an article recently about people being offended, the gist being ‘so what?’. Are we heading toward a time where we are unable to air an opinion, tell a joke or have a discussion for fear of someone, somewhere taking offence?

**** that.
Nick, flybymike, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Chris,

I have typed this out a few times already today but for the avoidance of doubt:

Humor, wit and reasoned debate are all fine.

Sexual innuendo, smuttiness and comments with sexual undertones are not.

That are the standards set out by Ian and with that in mind I/we moderate.

I am sorry if that shocks or offends you.
kanga, karlbown liked this
By GolfHotel
I think we need to remember that this forum is very much associated with FLYER so, to my mind, its quite reasonable for Ian to be concerned about standards and to set limits that do not really apply to the rest of us who in the main appear here as private individuals.

I feel that the political correctness of some people goes too far. And I'm not meaning this forum in any way. But it is so easy for someone to take offence at something and to blow it up into something much more important than it was ever meant to be. But is that wrong? The attitudes of the present day are not the same as the attitudes of years gone by. Generally that's a good thing. But I'd be the first to admit I do miss being able to have a chuckle at comments about Bananas down the lycra. Childish as they are that sort of thing hits a funny spot for me. Do I want those comments to cause offence? No of course not. So I do need to modify my comments.

At the end of the day there are plenty of places on the internet to get such stuff. You don't have to look far, you tube has plenty of Roy Chubby Brown etc if thats your choice, he's too much for me anyway. Would I want it on my work website? No.
By Bill Haddow
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
. . . for the avoidance of doubt:

Humor, wit and reasoned debate are all fine.

Sexual innuendo, smuttiness and comments with sexual undertones are not.

And it seems that personal abuse, offensive personal postings, and ad hominem attacks are all fine too.

Bill H
By JonathanB
Bill Haddow wrote:And it seems that personal abuse, offensive personal postings, and ad hominem attacks are all fine too.

No they are not. If you have a particular concern then please report the post(s) concerned as we cannot monitor every thread all the time.
Dave W liked this
By johnm
I try to be well mannered and rational even when disagreeing with or even criticising others and I like to be treated the same, however I am immune to personal abuse :twisted:
By Flintstone
I seem to have missed out on some offensive posts here and perhaps in other threads, I assume they were deleted. Can anyone tell me how bad they were so as to give some context? On a scale of 1-5 perhaps?

The Daily Mail Scale

1. Mary Whitehouse.

2. Pearl-clutching.

3. Harrumph harrumph.

4. “I say.........”

5. Chubby Brown.

Thanks. :D
davey, Nick liked this
By Miscellaneous
I do my best to avoid confrontation and pointless argument. However having considered this thread for a while I decided to comment as an observation amounting to my 2p worth.

It seems to me that particular individual mods opinions (supported by a few forumites) of what is unacceptable is punching beyond its weight. I feel this is largely due to the majority of forumites remaining silent; a) not giving a hoot about the PC debate, b) a 'fear' of not being seen as being PC. :D

The mods do a good job, thanks folks, but heh ho mods are human too and are not immune to making posts that border on being questionable. Not only when mods post as a forumite have I thought really…but also when posting as a mod in response to forumites posts there's been occasion I've thought the mods post to be wider of the mark than the post responded to.

In an attempt to lighten the mood can I ask a tongue in cheek question please? Och, I'll ask it anyway;

We are off to a wedding week after next and I'm looking forward to seeing my other half in the dress she bought for the occasion, which I've only seen on the hanger. Now, if it looks as good when worn as it does on the hanger will I cause offence if I tell her she looks good? Or will she only take offence if I tell her she looks good before going cycling? :wink:
By Flintstone
Miscellaneous wrote:We are off to a wedding week after next and I'm looking forward to seeing my other half in the dress she bought for the occasion, which I've only seen on the hanger. Now, if it looks as good when worn as it does on the hanger will I cause offence if I tell her she looks good? Or will she only take offence if I tell her she looks good before going cycling? :wink:

You’ll be wrong, either way.
Miscellaneous, kanga, Paul_Sengupta and 3 others liked this
By Bill Haddow
Miscellaneous wrote: Now, if it looks as good when worn as it does on the hanger will I cause offence if I tell her she looks good? Or will she only take offence if I tell her she looks good before going cycling? :wink:

Yes she will.

On the other hand, if you do not tell her she looks good, she will take offence.

You should know this by now.

Bill H