For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: may have had experience kissing someone who was not so keen.

I blame the French and those other decadent European nations that think that such abhorrent and unsanitary greetings practise are acceptable.

I hope that, post Brexit, we outlaw such disgusting behaviour, and go back to merely shaking hands. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By OCB
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: may have had experience kissing someone who was not so keen.

I blame the French and those other decadent European nations that think that such abhorrent and unsanitary greetings practise are acceptable.

I hope that, post Brexit, we outlaw such disgusting behaviour, and go back to merely shaking hands. :wink:

Most definitely an unwanted and unsanitary practice from my perspective! I have to endure it every bleedin day here in Belgium.

I must go back through old political campaigns and find videos of politicians kissing babies (esp the screaming ones) and report them for child sex abuse .... :twisted:
By OCB
I spent 20 mins reading the definitions of assault then battery as defined under English law.

I was actually trying to find out if assault was a civil or criminal offence in England, as back in my day in deepest darkest middle of Scotland, assault was a civil offence. Only when it got to near Taggart levels it became a criminal offence.

Seems in England it can be one or tuther, and the definitions of assault/battery are so vague that I’m surprised that ambulance chasing lawyers aren’t standing at busy tube stations with video cameras....
By kanga
OCB wrote:..
Seems in England it can be one or tuther, and the definitions of assault/battery are so vague that I’m surprised that ambulance chasing lawyers aren’t standing at busy tube stations with video cameras....

far too unproductive. Much easier to go for the relatively low-hanging fruit where the alleged 'assailant' is likely to have either deep pockets (eg 'celebrities') or insurers who will recommend settlement rather than trial (eg NHS Trusts, Police/military services,etc, or their employees) :roll:
By OCB
You’re most probably right Kanga.

I believe it was Blair who introduced the possibility of ambulance chasing?

I have to say, I was in Scotland - with my Belgian wife and baby- when the riots kicked off across England a few years back. We watched from our hotel room the Mad Max images of tourists lying semi-conscious and being relieved of their possessions, and 14 yr olds running riot, knowing the cops could do next to nothing.

The missus asked if we should be worried. I was pretty confident we’d be fine, as Scots cops and Scots law dont get their knickers in a legal twist to the same extent as English cops and law.

Accident of history for sure, but one I was happy for. I tried to explain the fundamental differences between Scots and English law, but it was like trying to explain smoked versus streaky to a life long veggie...
By kanga
OCB wrote:..

I believe it was Blair who introduced the possibility of ambulance chasing?

IANAL, but AIUI, it has always been possible in England for an aggrieved party to bring civil suit in tort against an alleged causer of damage, including damage resulting from injury however loosely defined. However 'ambulance chasing', American-style, seemed to start when Solicitors were allowed to advertise, and to employ agents to tout for business. Istr this started under Thatcher:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_advertising
johnm liked this
By defcribed
Correct - it was allowing lawyers to advertise that launched the ambulance-chasing scene in the UK.

Bringing an civil action for a tort has always been possible, but few people had any idea how to go about it on their own and consequently didn't hire a solicitor (who did know how to do it) unless they had really, genuinely, been seriously wronged. Once the lawyers could advertise, we entered the world where trivial events with tenuous allegations of liability became a matter for the courts.