For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flybymike wrote:Ban all sex and procreation forthwith, that’s what I say.

Let’s all join a monastery.

:roll:

At the moment the only thing that is at risk of being banned is the 'Non-Aviation' forum.

I would find that a great loss to the forums and the enjoyment and information it can bring.

But to regularly have to remind people of the need to remain civil and boundaries of good taste is tedious to say the least.

As PaulB said the forums are closely linked to the Flyer brand and whilst some people on here are happy to post things in anonymity a large number of people post on here in their own name and they no doubt prefer it if their contributing to the forums does not mean they are associated with postings made in poor taste on here.
By Paul_Sengupta
flybymike wrote:Ban all sex and procreation forthwith, that’s what I say.

Works for me. Means my weekends and money are my own and I can go flying whenever I want. :D

flybymike wrote:Let’s all join a monastery.

Does it have a runway?
By PaulB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:The world is going mad. Really. What we need is more tolerance, but the sad thing is that such political correctness is the complete antithesis of tolerance.

The world has been mad for too long by accepting that blokes could make letching comments in public, or worse.

Society has moved on by identifying such behaviour is inappropriate.

Some of the posts on the forums are positively cringeworthy and I truly wonder whether the posters would be happy to make these comments in front of their nearest and dearest.

That was the point that I was trying to make.... only not as well.

Hiding behind a pseudonym makes it all OK.
By PaulB
Paultheparaglider wrote:The thing is, offence is as much taken as given, and although there are obviously lines beyond which things are clear cut and unacceptable, in this case Chevvron made a slightly off colour comment about women looking good in Lycra at a velodrome.

Not sure if that's the quote that did it, but whatever, I don't really care. That said, I've never been a fan of what might be called "rugby club banter".

We probably don't think we are but we are a face that people see when they look at aviation and sometimes, it's not a very nice one.

Big deal. If that brings you out in a rant, then I truly fail to understand why. If you think you need to shelter teenage girls from such horrors, then I'm equally staggered.

OK, make it your ten year old daughter... or your mother or grandmother.

The world is going mad. Really.

The world isn't going mad, but there's slowly (very slowly in some quarters) a realisation dawning that what was deemed acceptable half a century ago is now no longer acceptable.

If we can play our part in making aviation (and general aviation in particular) more inclusive, it will be all the better for it.
By Chris Martyr
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:At the moment the only thing that is at risk of being banned is the 'Non-Aviation' forum..

[cue Maggie Thatcher voice],,,NO,,,NO,,,NO,,,,!..

I hope that was a spur of the moment remark FD ! The 'Non-Av' section is the best bit of the forum , with many posters putting in intelligent , witty , factual and sometimes hilarious contributions .

Certainly , if an individual shows a bit of a tendency for shooting from the hip and is regularly offensive in laying into his forum brethren , then perhaps a word in his shell-like , but I'm sorry to say that certain posts on this thread are starting to sound a bit precious. Don't you ever read The Times ? Especially some of the weekend columnists !

As for PaulB's remark about "not saying anything you don't want your teenage daughter to hear",,,,
He cannot be serious ! and obviously has never had teenage daughters , because believe me mate , there's absolutely NOTHING on here that would offend todays teenage girls .

Let's not sink to the levels of todays PC police , the ones for whom a complimentary "you like nice today" to a female work colleague will see you hauled in to your company's HR Dept.

What on earth's happening here....Get a grip !........................[no , no, no missus , not that sort of grip,, :lol: ,,]
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Lets just keep things tasteful and refrain from being lewd please, we'd like this place to be inclusive and not put off anybody from joining in and feeling welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Chris Martyr wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:At the moment the only thing that is at risk of being banned is the 'Non-Aviation' forum..

[cue Maggie Thatcher voice],,,NO,,,NO,,,NO,,,,!..

I hope that was a spur of the moment remark FD ! The 'Non-Av' section is the best bit of the forum , with many posters putting in intelligent , witty , factual and sometimes hilarious contributions .

Certainly , if an individual shows a bit of a tendency for shooting from the hip and is regularly offensive in laying into his forum brethren , then perhaps a word in his shell-like , but I'm sorry to say that certain posts on this thread are starting to sound a bit precious. Don't you ever read The Times ? Especially some of the weekend columnists !

As for PaulB's remark about "not saying anything you don't want your teenage daughter to hear",,,,
He cannot be serious ! and obviously has never had teenage daughters , because believe me mate , there's absolutely NOTHING on here that would offend todays teenage girls .

Let's not sink to the levels of todays PC police , the ones for whom a complimentary "you like nice today" to a female work colleague will see you hauled in to your company's HR Dept.

What on earth's happening here....Get a grip !........................[no , no, no missus , not that sort of grip,, :lol: ,,]

CM,

No that is not a spur of the moment comment but a serious consideration by the owner of these forums.

This has nothing too do with being PC, everything with good taste.

And as for daughters, I've got four and they would not enjoy the lewd, sad insinuations espoused by some on here.

One of the latest contributions I zapped from another thread suggested having sexual intercourse with cabin crew as prophylaxis for a DVT - do you really think that is OK for publication on a forum?

If people want a puerile snigger about such a 'funny' suggestion in the dingy corner of the bar then go ahead but don't count on me finding that acceptable 'banter'