For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5439981/MailOnline-readers-share-pictures-UK-snow.html

Why am I thinking about the old rip - "CHAOS IN THE SOUTH, Northerners - you'll need your big coat"

Here in sunny central Belgium, barely a flake - but it's been below zero for about a week.

I know all of us over 40 "remember when we walked to school through 2ft of snow" etc - but those photos are just a tad pathetic.

I remember "proper" snow in the 80s, driving along parts of the M8 where the cleared snow basically made sheer walls either side. Further up North they'd put in fluo poles along some roads, so the rescue teams could find cars snowed under.

Wasn't there a story about some tights salesman who survived being snowed in his car by putting on lots of tights?Could have just been a joke going around at the time

When I look back to photos of the early 1940s, when they were digging out locomotives....yeah, "snowflake" generation seems rather apt :roll:
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew for an hour today mostly on shoreham frequency and heard zero other aircraft.

I had a nice radio chat with ATC seeing as they had nothing to do!

Amazing flying, why was nobody else up?

Few at 500
Scattered 1000
Tops at 3000
Lots of holes
By Paul_Sengupta
carlmeek wrote:Amazing flying, why was nobody else up?

Work
Aircraft out of permit
Had to drive my dad for a hospital appointment so I'm in Wales
By AndyR
carlmeek wrote:I flew for an hour today mostly on shoreham frequency and heard zero other aircraft.

Amazing flying, why was nobody else up?

Stuck in the office. You should’ve popped in for coffee. Was in the Hummingbird at lunchtime.
By Genghis the Engineer
I am deeply bemused by all of the fuss. The web is full of weather warning this, chaos that. I hear reports of panic supermarket buying.

The reality is a few inches of snow, below average temperatures for the time of year. Basically people need to dress a bit warmer, look out for our elderly neighbours and relatives, drive a bit more carefully whilst allowing a bit longer for journeys, and the media needs to stop panicking.

Barking, whole blasted country, barking.

Aircraft's in for it's annual anyhow, and I spent my month's flying budget at the start of the month :D

G
Flintstone, JAFO, Lockhaven liked this
By Marvin
Rewiring the panel in aeroplane otherwise would have been there. Nice hard runway, frozen solid.

Went home when the Radio batteries ran out and cockpit thermometer read -3.
By Bill McCarthy
Went out for a walk around the farm yesterday in the bright sunshine and only encountered a bit of serein. Today is different, the tractors are difficult to start in the horizontal white stuff.
If the enemy decided to attack, they would pick a bank holiday when there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground.
By Sjoram
2.5 hours for a 25 mile drive this morning but made it just fine. The standards of driving on display are appalling and more the reason for the delays than the weather itself.
Korenwolf liked this
By PeteSpencer
Took my grand-daughter to school today: Her primary school was the only one open, two neighbouring schools half a mile away were closed.

Roads on the whole bad, traffic crawling,worst bit was the ungritted half mile uphill to the school through a housing estate: The Krauto really struggled with alarming fishtailing towards parked cars.....

Peter
By Korenwolf
I am reminded of the winter of '81/82 when we had sustained freezing temperatures for weeks (my radiator froze twice despite having double the usual antifreeze mixture) - one particular night it was -18 ° C and we walked around to my mate's house for a party. Our poor old labrador struggled to find a spot in our garden to poo on as it had been under snow for ten days. Mrs.K was pregnant with our first, 4 x 4's were more usually the preserve of the Army and farmers rather than yummy mummies, so we plodded on with our little Opel Kadett. Somehow we made it through....
seanxair liked this
By Jim Jones
Slow crawl to a from work yesterday and today, heavy snow showers on top of the grit.
Drove past a section of the Bradford to Leeds cycle superhighway, created at great expense, £20 million, and disruption over a 2 year period.

One cycle tyre track visible, followed by a special narrow half track machine that was clearing and spraying de icer.

Pavements? Untouched sheet ice so people walked in the road. Bah!
By johnm
Drove teacher daughter to her school avoiding the grid locked roads by using the untreated back roads in my Subaru on its winter tyres 8) suspected her Smart car might not be ideal :shock:
By Spooky
It is quite embarrassing to see the news. Don’t know why they try to make out we are struggling? Apart from two women fighting over a loaf of bread in the supermarket I’ve not seen any weather related chaos.
By Flintstone
While I appreciate that there are regional differences what peeves me is people tekkin' the pish. Schools round here were closed today 'because weather'. This after a light dusting overnight that was confined to corners and a few spots then a couple of showers today that melted almost immediately.

And yes, drivers. If 3mm of snow bothers you, STAY AT HOME!