For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
If a VW car comes fitted with ...

(5 stud) 7J x 18" alloy rims, c/w 215/50 R18 92W (summer / all season?) tyres

... can I fit ...

(5 stud) Type 5N 103kW, 7.00 x 16 (LK 5/112, OS35) alloys, c/w 215/65/R16 98T winter tyres that are also designed to fit on a different VW?

Running the two tyre sizes through a comparison website https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ , the winter tyres have 1.9% larger circumference, which AIUI would be acceptable in terms of speedo etc etc.

But I get very lost with the 7J and 5N designators etc. What other details do I need to find out?

TIA
By stevewarbs
Hi Colonel, I don't know about the 5N bit but the 7J and 7.00 are both 7 inches so the wheels are the same width but it is the offset that is important. You need to measure the offset on both sets of wheels to see if it is the same. Also you you have different speed ratings on those tyres so you need to check with your insurer as you are going down in speed ratings which can invalidate your insurance.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
As above, I'm afraid the numbers mean nothing without the offset.

You also need to check the bolt pattern is the same

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Thanks both - I'll do some more research about the offset. (Fairly sure the OS35 above refers to a 35mm offset but will check the other ones).
By Rob P
Ah sorry, I had missed that. OS is the offset.

:oops:

Rob P
By Bill McCarthy
When you check the "bolt pattern" as mentioned above - check also, that the pitch circle diameter is the same.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Charles Hunt
Doing the calculations will make your brain hurt and may still give the wrong answer. Unless you can find someone who's done it before it really is best to do a trial fit before committing much money. You can use spacers to move the wheels out a bit if necessary, but this can mean stud type wheel nuts don't bite on as much thread.

Oh, and when the insurers ask "Has the car been modified?"...........
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IIRC, "J" is the profile of the "well" ....which allows the tyre bead to be seated -in and then slipped over the rim, diametrically opposite......the well is often offset and is also assymetric,in that both sides are differently -profiled, making it possible to mount/dismount the tyre from one side only.

Even with a narrower- width tyre, It's possible to foul the suspension damper or strut, or alternatively hit the sidewall on the wheelarch- flange if the offset is wrong.It's very effective at slicing -open your tyres.
Google is your friend.