For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another idea to help us on our way to a more electric world.

Stars at 6:40 in this link

The whole program is interesting, though most of us probably know already how widely discredited the NEDC fuel consumption ratings are.
By Paul_Sengupta
Charles Hunt wrote:Minuscule amount of storage per installation compared to pumped hydro schemes such as Dinorwic or Loch Awe.

That's what I was thinking. However there are probably a goodly number of reborable mine shafts here in the South Wales valleys, so why not, if only for local peak use? I don't see it as something for storing energy for days when the wind isn't blowing, but more for the period when everyone switches their kettles on after Eastenders or whatever.
By Flintstone
Bert Presley wrote:I've wondered about a piezo-electric transducer across the San Andreas fault. Crowd-funding welcomed.

Quaketricity?

I’m not terribly sensitive but isn’t that a bit like using crematoriums for central heating? :D (Which brings a whole new meaning to the term ‘body heat’).
Nick, Bert Presley liked this
By Flintstone
Maybe combine community service notices with the obituaries?

"Tonight's bath water is brought to you by Agnes Higgins, 3/6/1928-22/2/2018. Wife to Sydney, mother to twins Monique and Unique. No flowers, just chuck on a few logs"
Nick, Bert Presley, Rob P and 1 others liked this
Flintstone wrote:"Tonight's bath water is brought to you by Agnes Higgins, 3/6/1928-22/2/2018. Wife to Sydney, mother to twins Monique and Unique. No flowers, just chuck on a few logs"

That's great :D

And. At the funeral of somebody who is universally hated, the vicar could at least include in the eulogy:

'He was a man of generous spirit who will selflessly heat your home tonight...'
Nick liked this
By nallen
By very strange coincidence, the Telegraph yesterday reported a "body heat" story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/22/businessman-plans-burnbody-parts-organs-create-energy/