For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bert Presley
romille wrote:What I don't get is if it's aimed a folk who don't want to eat meat why do they make quorn dishes look like meat?

Yes. It is very odd. I once heard somebody say the words: '...vegan pigs in blankets...'

'What's that then?', I thought of asking (but didn't). '...Tofu wrapped in Quorn?'
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bert Presley wrote:Yes. It is very odd. I once heard somebody say the words: '...vegan pigs in blankets...'

'What's that then?', I thought of asking (but didn't). '...Tofu wrapped in Quorn?'

Cabbage leaf round a carrot?
Bert Presley liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Quite recently I recognised a piece of rubber in a tub of cream cheese as a section of "O" ring, did nothing about it as it would have passed "through the system" had I swallowed it.
By Bert Presley
Bill McCarthy wrote:Quite recently I recognised a piece of rubber in a tub of cream cheese as a section of "O" ring, did nothing about it as it would have passed "through the system" had I swallowed it.

The very devil to flush away though. Would have floated there forever.

You could have claimed for Post Toilet Stress Disorder.
By Paul_Sengupta
rf3flyer wrote:Dogs will eat anything. They're not discriminating eaters.

I beg to differ...

I was on a picnic once, and a few of us had brought along some food. My friend Steve had brought along a potato salad he'd made. His parents were chefs and owned a restaurant so he thought he was quite good at this cooking malarkey. Anyway, he put rather a lot of garlic in the potato salad. Understatement. Anyway, none of us would eat it. While we were eating our picnic there was an unsupervised dog pestering us all the way through. From where it came I don't know, but it looked hungry (I guess they all do when there's food around).

We tried feeding it the potato salad, but the dog took one sniff then wouldn't go anywhere near it.
By chevvron
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
rf3flyer wrote:Dogs will eat anything. They're not discriminating eaters.

I beg to differ...

I was on a picnic once, and a few of us had brought along some food. My friend Steve had brought along a potato salad he'd made. His parents were chefs and owned a restaurant so he thought he was quite good at this cooking malarkey. Anyway, he put rather a lot of garlic in the potato salad. Understatement. Anyway, none of us would eat it. While we were eating our picnic there was an unsupervised dog pestering us all the way through. From where it came I don't know, but it looked hungry (I guess they all do when there's food around).

We tried feeding it the potato salad, but the dog took one sniff then wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Friend of mine had a border collie. He offered it a Mars bar, even unwrapped it; dog took one sniff and walked away.
By mick w
" Friend of mine had a border collie. He offered it a Mars bar, even unwrapped it; dog took one sniff and walked away. " .

Is you're friend Mick Jagger ??. :wink:
Bert Presley liked this
By Bill Haddow
kanga wrote:Might a north-of-the-border collie have preferred it deep-fried ? :)

As I've said before, we only trot out the deep fried (battered) Mars bars for the tourists; locally we much prefer the deep fried battered Crème Egg, but since those damn septics changed the traditional Cadbury's recipe it's not the same.

There have been promising trials with deep fried Tunnock's teacakes, but opinion is divided as to whether the plain or milk chocolate version is better. I have added spices to the batter to make a teacake pakora (actually given the size I suppose it's more of a teacake samosa) but it is still a work-in-progress.

The deep fried Lees macaroon bar* was a worthy experiment but the coconut over-caramelised.

The Holy Grail is to get a crisp deep fried battered Stra'ven Toffee (actually tablet).

Bill H

* I would post the Lees advertising jingle of yore, but it is bit non-pc for modern snowflake sensibilities.
Lindsayp, kanga liked this
By Pete L
Hmm....Got to cook Viv's birthday tea this week. Wonder if she'll let me stray into Scottish fusion for the occasion.
By Bill Haddow
riverrock wrote:I'd recommend deep fried snickers :)

Mmmm, might try that, though as you can tell from my earlier post Lanarkshire products are central to my cholesterol sheathed heart.

Bill H