For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Grelly
rikur_ wrote:The situation around our area is 'cold hard cash'

Aided and abetted by the utility companies who relentlessly dig trenches and fail to repair the road to an acceptable standard.
Sooty25 liked this
By Miscellaneous
For the first time in a long time I was pulled by the cops today. ****, I thought, will I never learn to put the seat belt on. Low and behold he just wondered why I was straddling the white line. To miss the pot holes, I replied. Okay was his reply, I'll just note your name and address.

Never mentioned not having a seat belt on, phew! :salut:

In the wider area here there are parts of road that are essentially impassable. One road I use regularly is down to a 10mph limit, from a 60mph. Unacceptable!

Has me questioning if there are minimum standards which the councils have to maintain?
By PaulB
Why were you not wearing a seat belt? (just curious)
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just got back from skiing in the Alps, just for fun drove down through France and back through Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France.

Good roads and tidy throughout.

Arrived at the Tunnel terminal and joined a M20 full of potholes and strewn with litter. What’s the matter with this country? :roll: :(
By Miscellaneous
PaulB wrote:Why were you not wearing a seat belt? (just curious)

No excuse Paul. Reversed out the drive heading to the bank which closed in 10mins and was stopped within 200m. I may, or may not have put it on during the 1km journey. It depends on how irritating the warning is on the day.

Given the state of the roads I guess there's even more need for seat belts.
By madmaveric
I used to work on the roads as a tarmac delivery driver.
I also did a research paper at school (when I was 14) on 'tarmac and how roads are built' as I thought I could skip the research part because my father had a tarmac haulage business for 50 years. The problem was I found out that my dad 'just delivered it' so I still ended up having to spend a lot of time in the local library :cry: .
I learned a lot about road building , tarmac and asphalt during that which helped me understand a bit more about what was going on when I took over the business years later.

Firstly there is not enough money going in given the higher use of the roads.Resurfacing a road is very expensive.
Second is the quality or work done on the roads now (in my opinion). Laying tarmac isn't just a case of spreading it about and rolling it. I guess it is like plastering a wall, it looks easy but knowledge/experience is needed if you want a good job.
Thirdly, short term politics don't mix with long term savings. So instead of resurfacing the road they repair, or worse just fill in potholes. It is a fraction of the price of a full repair or resurface but in the long term this costs more (if there is one pothole then chances are others are waiting to come through).

Most potholes are due to either a bad initial surfacing (seems to be becoming more of a problem over the last few years from what I've seen), bad repair/roadworks (most likely) or physical damage (less likely).

This brings the question as to how often do you see resurfacing (as apposed to repairing) now compared to the past. It definitely feels like a lot less to me.

It also seems like the roads they do resurface (like the M27 or A338 down this way) aren't as good. The M27 needed several parts resurfaced not long after completion due to the tarmac coming up.
The A338 had quite a few undulations in it (I'd driven on lots of new/resurfaced roads and I was quite surprised by this, most people probably wouldn't notice it). While this doesn't mean it is going to break up it doesn't point to the quality of resurfacing I was used to, a job like this should have the laser attachment 'mod' on the barber green if they can't do it manually.

Mainly it just comes down to investment. As my Dad used to say, buy cheap buy twice.
Use more expensive asphalt rather than cheaper tarmac, and good proven gangs to lay it. Make utility companies pay for council resurfacing when digging up roads than using their part time tarmac gang to do it. This would be a lot more expensive so they might start to work with each other and share the costs rather than having multiple trenches dug and refilled each time.

The councils, at the end of the financial year, used to end up resurfacing roads that weren't that bad in order to use up the government budget (use it or loose it system). Today I doubt they have nearly enough money to do the work they have let alone work out what to do with the surplus.

Where the money would come from is a different matter, there are a lot more important areas that need money at the moment (NHS, Police etc) but that is politics and a much bigger (and continually increasing ) problem IMO so isn't for this thread :P
johnm, cockney steve liked this
By flybymike
This weekend just past, I went over an unseen pothole (at night) with an almighty crash followed by diabolical steering wheel vibration.
Gingerly drove the car home and had it collected by the Bentley main dealers yesterday for inspection.

They returned the car today duly repaired,

New front n/s alloy wheel. £1600 (original buckled to b*ggery)
New tyre £360
Steering alignment £288

Inside rim of rear near side wheel also damaged but serviceable.

I will have a go at claiming damages from NYCC (I checked that the pothole has indeed been previously reported) but based on earlier remarks on here I’m not optimistic........ :(
By madmaveric
That's scary, it could have easily lead to a bad accident.

On the damage side of potholes what about long term damage and the cost to the public. I doubt there is any chance at all of claiming for long term damage.

During the MOT yesterday they found my front spring was broken on my car. This is the second time in the last few years I've had a broken spring (one on my old Golf TDI about 6 years ago, and one on the merc yesterday).

In 33 years of driving the golf was my first suspension failure (and I used to drive my cars a lot more boisterously when I was younger and there were no speed cameras :roll: )

For the last 10 years my drive to work takes me down a road with those square speed bumps, the type with sharp corners. While I have always taken these slowly (to the annoyance of cars behind), due to the low front skirts on both cars I had to, I thought that these were to blame.

But thinking more about it, as both springs were on the nearside where a lot of potholes and sunken drains are round here, I'm now thinking it is probably more likely the potholes than the speed bumps as I first thought.

I guess it could be down to the old saying 'they don't make 'em like they used to' and the cars are not built as sturdy.

I also had a noise a few years ago going down the motorway and found the inside of the tire had a bulge in it so big it was it hitting the suspension, another first for me on a car, the thought of what would have happened if the front tire had blown doesn't bear thinking about. I have no doubt this was caused from running over 8 of these square speed bumps each day.

Maybe this is the reason for all these off roader's in towns on the school run.
By avtur3
madmaveric wrote: ... During the MOT yesterday they found my front spring was broken on my car. This is the second time in the last few years I've had a broken spring (one on my old Golf TDI about 6 years ago, and one on the merc yesterday). ....

Now that full MOT is available online its easy to see how frequently spring failure occurs. Before I changed my car last July I looked at many dozens of MOT histories and it was quite obvious that spring failure was far more common than one might have expected. Its almost impossible not to make the connection between ever more widespread use of speed bumps and deteriorating state of road surfaces.

A good friend of mine is the parts manager at the local Benz dealers, one of the first questions he asked when he saw my 10 year old C class was 'have you checked the springs' he tells me breakage are quite a common; though he suggested the reason was probably two fold, without doubt the state of the roads but also the impact of accountants on the quality of original parts.
By madmaveric
So I guess I add springs to AC condenser and gearbox conductor plate as weak points on this model.
Last edited by madmaveric on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Now I think of it, my Krauto has had two NSF springs replaced in ten years: In 50+ years of motoring I have not had any other suspension failures....

But I've had two NS inner tyre sidewalls shredded in the last 12 months: I think the culprits are some particularly jagged speed humps in Kings Lynn where my son lives

Peter