For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Jim Jones wrote:They must receive a trial. Should be here as they are British. Rendering someone stateless without a hearing is wrong too.

My main concern is that like the pair that killed Lee Rigby they will be locked up then spend the rest of their lives claiming compensation and challenging the legalities of their detention at great cost to the public purse. There has been a suggestion that they should be tried in the Hague.
Jim Jones wrote:Which side of right v wrong should we be ?

Infuriating, Jim, absolutely infuriating!

You're right, Jim, two wrongs don't make a right. However it's way past time we changed the objective from ensuring every technical detail of the law is achieved to ensuring justice is served.

And that necessitates changing the law to ensure we are on the right side of the law.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:They must receive a trial. Should be here as they are British. Rendering someone stateless without a hearing is wrong too.

Hear hear.

My moral position is that I don't want my country to be one that punishes anybody without due process and rule of law.

My pragmatic position is that if you look at the USA - Guantanamo and summary execution by drone strike are just making that nation more enemies every day.

Both ways, the price of extra vigilance, legal process, and emprisonment is well worth paying, in my world view.

G
NickS liked this
Why, Paul? To explain the intricacies of the law?

As a society we have totally forgotten that the law is there to ensure justice is served and we have become totally obsessed with ensuring every technical aspect of the law is met.

Not that applying the law is wrong. It's the obsession in applying the law and failing to address the inevitable conflicts by changing the law to ensure the law achieves its objective of ensuring justice is served.
their capture/surrender should have been kept out of the press.

they should have had all information extracted by whatever means necessary.

and then they dissappear.

Not the way even I really want to deal with humans (by physical definition only), but they are murdering terrorists, what do they expect, a suite at the Dorchester?
Rob P, PeteSpencer, cockney steve and 5 others liked this
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AFAIK, they were stripped of their English citizenship some time ago. Now Iraqui, one assumes. Let the countries of their recent domicile sort out the details. I'm sure the murderous scum will get the same meticulously fair and open hearing and justice that they accorded their victims.