For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
Dave W wrote:Poland joined the Schengen Agreement in 2007.

Yes I know.
So why did the German border guards check our passports when exiting to Poland from the former East Germany?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't know but the French checked mine recently when driving from Belgium.

I've also had the Germans check when driving from Luxemburg. Caused a hell of a queue on the motorway.

The strangest ones though have been the US ones, in-land, in the middle of the state, driving across California and Arizona.
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:.

The strangest ones though have been the US ones, in-land, in the middle of the state, driving across California and Arizona.

Back in '80s we drove from Nevada into California. Several miles after the State line, in the middle of the desert, we were stopped at an inspection station of the California Department of Agriculture, looking for illicit produce. We didn't ask what sort!
By Bill Haddow
chevvron wrote:So why did the German border guards check our passports when exiting to Poland from the former East Germany?

The digi channels are full of programmes showing the exciting times Border Force type authorities around the (English speaking) world have. The reality is that it is a very boring job, so the guards (world-wide) have little games and competitions among themselves, such as "Guess the age of that traveller" . You do not want to know the games that those empowered to search luggage have . . .

Bill H
By kanga
My sister in law was rather impressed when arriving back at LHR just after morning end of curfew. She handed her passport to a very sleepy immigration service agent who glanced at it, then handed it back saying 'happy birthday'. :)
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill Haddow wrote:[ You do not want to know the games that those empowered to search luggage have . . .

Bill H

That game actually allowed me to get some banned stuff (about 8 albums eg, Stones, Queen etc ) into E Germany as they were looking for small stuff in small places* rather than stepping back and seeing the bigger picture.

*No, not there