For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Leodisflyer wrote:I may have been a bit too careful or subtle as the point I was trying to make is that some people seem to thing that the public space outside their house is their own parking area. when, in most cases, it isn't.

The news article doesn't tell us the layout of the road or the rights of the individuals. I was trying to make a more general point without necessarily commenting on this case.

I don't know about this case, but I do very regularly witness issues that arise when people have a misinformed or misguided view of their rights and territory and how others should behave.

I agree that people are very territorial about the pavement and road that fronts their property, even though in most streets it is a public space.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
romille wrote:
Leodisflyer wrote:I don't know about this case, but I do very regularly witness issues that arise when people have a misinformed or misguided view of their rights and territory and how others should behave.

I agree that people are very territorial about the pavement and road that fronts their property, even though in most streets it is a public space.

I once had a neighbour who, if someone had parked in 'his' space, would knock on doors until he found the miscreant then demand that they move. If they argued he would sit in his car until they did. He tried it once on some visitors of mine during a barbecue, he sat there for four hours. :D
Rob P wrote: :sunny: [Lightbulb moment] They are probably big enough to line the kitchen bin

Indeed they are - the career FIs amongst us found this out some years ago :twisted:. We also learned to double up the bags sometimes :pale:
By riverrock
I've tried leaving them outside in their package to see if they will pick them up and re-use them - but doesn't seem like they do.
I have also tried to leave stuff out before which was never picked up.
Haven't tried again since.
By Flintstone
riverrock wrote:I've tried leaving them outside in their package to see if they will pick them up and re-use them - but doesn't seem like they do.
I have also tried to leave stuff out before which was never picked up.
Haven't tried again since.

Put a 'For Sale' sign on the bag of clothes, they'll be nicked in no time.
romille wrote:Even if it was on private ground or an allocated parking space there is no need to get irate and abusive. I am sure the ambulance staff did everything they could to expedite their departure to wherever the patient needed to go.

Daughter is a paramedic. She came off night shift the other day, and was telling us they had had some idiot shouting and screaming at them about why they had blocked the road with their ambulance, to go and help someone who was actually quite ill, when he wanted to get through. We had a conversation about what we all thought about people like that and she went to bed.

Literally an hour later I left our house and as I was driving down our road I saw two ambulances with blue lights on coming towards me. I flashed them and pulled into a space to let them through. They both ended up stopping opposite me and both crews went running into the house I was outside, blocking me in completely. I didn't mind, honest, but my daughter got a bit of stick when she woke up ...
By riverrock
Flintstone wrote:Put a 'For Sale' sign on the bag of clothes, they'll be nicked in no time.

nah - there is no money in bags of clothes. They are worth less than 40p/kg ( http://www.glasgow-recycling.co.uk/items-we-accept/ ) so not worth the hassle lugging them.
More likely to be opened, rummaged through, then left.
In Glasgow if you leave anything decent outside your house - it will disappear sharpish though, such as furniture, fridge freezer, old cooker... I know people who have "acquired" all of those things from local streets :)
riverrock wrote:More likely to be opened, rummaged through, then left.
In Glasgow if you leave anything decent outside your house - it will disappear sharpish though, such as furniture, fridge freezer, old cooker... I know people who have "acquired" all of those things from local streets :)

Sounds like Drumchapel, where I was reared many moons ago, if it wasn't firmly secured, it walked.
riverrock liked this
romille wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43104314

Yet another selfish idiot!

Guilty plea and fine. Defendant already under restraining order

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-43130355
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
AlanC wrote:
Rob P wrote: :sunny: [Lightbulb moment] They are probably big enough to line the kitchen bin

Indeed they are - the career FIs amongst us found this out some years ago :twisted:. We also learned to double up the bags sometimes :pale:

Been doing this for years 8)