For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By haggis
Bill,

How about those singular people who come from “the Shotts” . That expression has never really been explained to me why Shotts should so referred!
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Bill Haddow But the website of the UAE repeatedly says "the UAE" not "The UAE", and in its history section refers to "the federation to be known as the United Arab Emirates"; and the website of the Philippines says "the Philippines", and the front page also contains a heading "Republic of the Philippines".
By PaulB
nallen wrote:@Bill Haddow But the website of the UAE repeatedly says "the UAE" not "The UAE", and in its history section refers to "the federation to be known as the United Arab Emirates"; and the website of the Philippines says "the Philippines", and the front page also contains a heading "Republic of the Philippines".

United Arab Emirates & Republic of the Philippines is what the 2 sources that I cited say.
nallen liked this
By OCB
haggis wrote:Bill,

How about those singular people who come from “the Shotts” . That expression has never really been explained to me why Shotts should so referred!

:lol:

I’ve not heard that in years!!

They still say that? Please say yes :lol:
By haggis
OCB,

They most definitely do. They have a Shotts history web site. It a journey back to yester year. While we are at it the Forth is referred to as “the Forth”. Strange use of language. No adverse comments having been born and brought up in the Shotts.
OCB liked this
By Trent772
Anyhow, back on thread..

Archaeologists believe they have uncovered a cache of pencils that belonged to William Shakespeare..

a spokesman for the dig said "They are so badly chewed on the ends, we can't tell if they are 2B or not 2B".
By OCB
haggis wrote:OCB,
No adverse comments having been born and brought up in the Shotts.

As a Wishae lad, with mates from Bonkle, (the) Shotts, Cleland, Bogside, Cambie, Newmains etc - obviously heard and seen the bad with the good.

Sharkey’s Coaches - @haggis , ‘‘twas mate of mine. As was Irvine Coaches from near Fortissat.
By OCB
*Fortissat=Forty Sat.
It’s a rock, next to a church - that used to be in the middle of nowhere.

It harks back to some rebels, fighting during the ‘45 rebellion, who parked their weiry bahookies on that rock, allegedly.

Middle of nowhere now has the M8 Glasgow to Edinburgh motorway running right beside it, but it’s still the middle of nowhere, to get to....
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On the topic of bad jokes I was a little startled on the Comic relief meets Pudsey bear programme last night when in the Walliams /Lucas sketch , Walliams asked the Lucas character what he wanted to eat:

The reply was ‘a bat’

Peter :roll: