For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob L
Trent772 wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:But then you youngsters prolly haven’t a clue who Gerard Hoffnung was :shock:
Edit: Replaced broken youtube link: sl different rendition

My Father used to recite that to us when we were young....

Pete....

We are old :mrgreen:

I recall the drawings , and a quick search finds, as an example:

kanga liked this
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:
flybymike wrote:Thought every bugger on here was retired.

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, though I am retired and have been so disposed for eons it seems, I have never buggered or been buggered. :lol: .

As someone who has spent most of his career pretending to know a thing or two about IT - every time I see an application or whatever with a “debugger”...that little linguistic demon in my head always says:

“Interest...how exactly does one debugger something?”
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So if debugging is taking the bugs out, what's the correct verb for whatever activity the programmers were up to beforehand? And am I still allowed to use without getting a slap over the knuckles from HR?
By Dusty_B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pete L wrote:So if debugging is taking the bugs out, what's the correct verb for whatever activity the programmers were up to beforehand?

...Programming.
kanga, OCB liked this
By OCB
Dusty_B wrote:
Pete L wrote:So if debugging is taking the bugs out, what's the correct verb for whatever activity the programmers were up to beforehand?

...Programming.

Perfect response :clap:

What is the difference between “coding” and “programming”?

“Coding” is programming exactly what you were asked to do.

“Programming” is coding exactly what they thought they’d asked you to do. :thumright:
T6Harvard, Dusty_B liked this
By OCB
...and based on the above, somehow reminded me of this one:

“Fuccam’s Razor”:

Occam's razor, Ockham's razor, Ocham's razor (Latin: novacula Occami), or the principle of parsimony or law of parsimony (Latin: lex parsimoniae) is the problem-solving principle that "entities should not be multiplied without necessity",sometimes inaccurately paraphrased as "the simplest explanation is usually the best one."

Fuccam’s Razor: the principle of “fuccam” (plural: “fuccam all”) - like Occam’s Razor, but where the simplest explanation is “Fuccam” or “Fuccam all”
By OCB
avtur3 wrote:Image

That had me laughing out loud - which really didn't help, as the missus is going through family expenses and overdue paperwork,

I just tried doing the sum of "cogito" and "ergo" in excel ... disappointed!
By Trent772
Just when you thought I had forgotten.....

Sometimes I wake up grumpy on a Sunday morning, but today I thought I'd let her sleep.

Elephant and Rhinoceros meet in the jungle
Rhino - Hi, what's your name.
Elephant - Nellie
Rhino - not THE Nellie the elephant.
Elephant - yes, and what's your name.
Rhinoceros - Neil.
Elephant - not THE Rhino Neil.

My Uncle Jim, he was regarded as being quite mad. The reason was that he ate a quarter teaspoon of gunpowder every day of his adult life. He would mix it in his porridge every morning. He claimed that it was the secret to a long and healthy life. Maybe he was mad but he died at the age of 106.
He left behind 4 children, 9 grand children, 21 great grandchildren and a 25 foot hole in the wall of the crematorium

I have a confession to make. My great grandfather was known as the acid bath murderer. To be fair he only did it once, that's because he lost a arm, pulling the plug out.

When my wife requested a ‘Celebrity Fragrance’ for her birthday, how was I supposed to know ‘Cillit Bang' by Barry Scott’ wasn't what she had in mind.

I just met a pirate who said he had lost his crows nest , I said that's your lookout.

I bought a blacksmith business the other day without seeing it first. It wasn't until later that I found out that the whole thing was a forgery.

One thing that life has taught me is that spring chickens aren't nearly as comfortable as memory foam chickens.

I was invited to a party last weekend of the Brotherhood of Man appreciation group.
As I was running late and didn't want to miss the buffet, I phoned them up and asked them to save some quiches for me.

I got cut off by a taxi driver last week.
I was walking through town today and I saw him at the back of the queue at the taxi rank.
I got in the first taxi in the queue and said "How much to the station ?"
"£5" said the driver. "And how much for a blow job ?" I asked him.
"That's disgusting" he said "Get out of my cab"
I got in the second taxi and said "How much to the station ?".
"£5" said the driver. "And how much for a blow job ?" I asked him.
"I'm not having any of that" he said "Get out of my cab"
I worked my way down the line, getting thrown out of each taxi in turn, until I came to my target at the back of the queue.
"How much to the station ?". "£5" said the driver.
"OK" I said "Let's go"
As we pulled out and overtook the other taxis I wound the window down and gave all the other drivers a thumbs up with a big grin on my face!!

Archaeologists digging at Stonehenge have discovered a neolithic manuscript which it is believed will change everything we know an understand about prehistoric writings.
Experts at Cambridge analysed the 4000 year old document with a vast array of scientific instruments and it says
"the DFS sale ends this solstice!"

Just a thought, my generation had Wonder Woman - This younger generation has to wonder if it is a woman.

My mate Dave went to our local library yesterday.
“Hello I wonder if you can help me” said Dave to the librarian “I’d like to borrow a book about the discovery of Electromagnetic induction.”
“Faraday?” replied the librarian
“No” said Dave “I'm a slow reader, two weeks would be better.”

I ran a half-marathon.
Sounds much better than saying I quit halfway through a marathon...

There is a factory in Essex which makes the Tickle Me Elmo toys. The toy laughs when you tickle it under the arms.
Well, Shelley is hired at The Tickle Me Elmo factory and she reports for her first day promptly at 8:00 am.
The next day at 8:45 am there is a knock at the Personnel Manager's door, the Foreman throws open the door and begins to rant about the new employee.
He complains that she is incredibly slow and the whole line is backing up, putting the entire production line behind schedule.
The Personnel Manager decides he should see this for himself, so the 2 men march down to the factory floor. When they get there the line is so backed up that there are Tickle Me Elmo's all over the factory floor and they're really beginning to pile up.
At the end of the line stands Shelley surrounded by mountains of Tickle Me Elmo's. She has a roll of plush Red fabric and a huge bag of small marbles.
The 2 men watch in amazement as she cuts a little piece of fabric, wraps it around two marbles and begins to carefully sew the little package between Elmo's legs.
The Personnel Manager bursts into laughter. After several minutes of hysterics he pulls himself together and approaches Shelley.

'I'm sorry,' he says to her, barely able to keep a straight face, 'but I think you misunderstood the instructions I gave you yesterday...'

'Your job is to give Elmo two test tickles.

I’ve just successfully bred a cross between a crocodile and a homing pigeon.
I bet that’ll come back to bite me...

When I was young the doctor told me I had a lazy eye, by the time I was 20 it spread to the rest of my body
By Awful Charlie
If you're here for the yodelling competition
Please form an orderly orderly orderly queue

My wife asked me to pass her lipstick, and I accidentally passed her a gluestick
She's still not talking to me

Made a graph of past relationships
it has an ex axis and why axis

I got fired from my job at the keyboard factory
Apparently I wasn't putting in enough shifts

A horse walks into a bar
Hey! says the bartender
Yes please says the horse

Imagine if Bill Gates had a penny for each time windows crashed
oh, he does

Why does Santa come down the chimney
Because it soots him

What goes Oh oh oh
Santa walking backwards

Hear about the cheese factory that exploded in France?
Nothing left but debrie

Why did the Romanian stop reading?
He wanted to give the Bucharest

Why are all the gender equality officers female?
Because it's cheaper

My wife divorced me so I stole her wheelchair
Guess who came crawling back

Arguing with a woman is like a software agreement
In the end you ignore everything and select "I agree"

I remember my grandads last words
"Are you still holding the ladder?"

I've got a breakdancing fish
Only for 20 seconds though, and he only does it once

When I was younger I made a really big sandcastle with my Grandma
No one else at the cremation was impressed

I asked my wife if I was the only one she's been with
Yes she said, all the others were sevens or better

My boss came running to me shouting "I've been searching all over for you, where have you been"
I reminded him that Good employees are hard to find

Schrodingers cat walks into a bar and doesn't

9/11 jokes aren't funny
The other two are crackers though
T6Harvard, flybymike, JAFO and 3 others liked this