For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
akg1486 wrote:
OCB wrote:(Cryptic phonetic joke I know, but I hope “the usual suspects” will come along to explain) ;)

I'll be waiting! :thumleft: :lol:

Which leads onto a famous Francie and Josie joke about the debt collector at the door…

“Is yer mither in?”

“She’s it Arbroath”

“That’s a’right - I’ll wait till she’s finished”.

(Apologies to all non Scots comedy fans ….)
By akg1486
T6Harvard wrote:Put you out of your misery....

Sounds like 'What is in Ayeshire?'

Hmmm, leaves me Mull-ing over the fact that this is the bad joke thread.

Thank you! I usually get word puns, even in dialects, but that one was too far-fetched for a non-native speaker who also didn't know ol' Rabbie was from Ayeshire.

(But no complaints! :D )
By OCB
Boxkite wrote:Close but no banana.
Sounds more like Ayrshire. :D

Old Dame goes into the butcher, all come-uppity and asks “Is that yer Ayrshire Bacon?”

“No Madam, I was just standing too close to the fire”….

I’ll stop….this is a “bad joke” thread I know, but there are limits…. :oops:
flybymike liked this
By kanga
One of my College friends was from the small long-established community of Dublin Orthodox Jews. He had a talent for telling 'dialogue' jokes dependent on being able to switch accents instantly, which he could do brilliantly: broad brogue, posh English, cockney, Mummerset, Welsh, Central European, ..

One of his which I remember was of the Irish labourer coming up to a British building site to ask for a job. The foreman decides to check his technical knowledge:

"Explain the difference between joist and girder"

"Sure, I don't know why it matters for the job, but one wrote Ulysses and the other wrote Faust"
Pete L, Kittyhawk liked this
By akg1486
JAFO wrote:Let's swap countries.

Swede goes into a chemist.

"I would like some deodorant, please."

"Certainly sir, ball or aerosol?"

"Neither, it is for my armpits."

I guess I should be offended, but I let it slide. :lol: I love Mel Smith and Rowan Atkinson (thank's for the YT link, @Paul_Sengupta ). Not the Nine O'Clock News, I'm guessing? That series, like a lot of UK comedy shows, was very popular in Sweden, too. Some shows, like Steptoe and Son, were even adapted and translated into Swedish.
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By kanga
On R4 'Today' this morning there were successive discussions on congestion at container ports, then on how to cope with children disappointed at dearth of Christmas presents, then the sports slot.

The sports reporter started with: "One year my parents gave me an empty box. They told me it was the Action Man 'deserter' toy" .. An oldie, but I thought quite good for an unprompted segue :)
OCB, akg1486, Paultheparaglider and 1 others liked this
By OCB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Ah...

Slight aside - if anyone isn’t aware, there’s a crackin TV comedy series called Norsemen - best I can describe it as something akin to “The Office”, but set in Viking times.
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:
akg1486 wrote:
OCB wrote:(Cryptic phonetic joke I know, but I hope “the usual suspects” will come along to explain) ;)

I'll be waiting! :thumleft: :lol:

Which leads onto a famous Francie and Josie joke about the debt collector at the door…

“Is yer mither in?”

“She’s it Arbroath”

“That’s a’right - I’ll wait till she’s finished”.

(Apologies to all non Scots comedy fans ….)

Presume this is a very bad joke about soup!

I prefer: "'Pea and ham? From a chicken? Now that's clever'

More bad Scottish sayings/jokes:

'Is that a doughnut or a meringue'

'Who was the last man to box Benny Lynch? (the undertaker)'

'See those antler, they're awfy dear'