For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PaulB
Rob L will just love the title of this thread! :shock:
By Rob L
No, Paul, I love Warner Brothers' cartoons :D

I prefer Hanna Barbera (particularly Tom & Jerry) but both cartoon writing houses are very good; much better in the '30s than in later decades of course.

Now, what have I missed by Pete L's original post? :wink:
Pete L liked this
By PaulB
Rob L wrote:I prefer Hanna Barbera (particularly Tom & Jerry) but both cartoon writing houses are very good; much better in the '30s than in later decades of course.

I thought the best T&J episodes were those produced by Fred Quimby. Wiki says that they were between 1940 & 1955
kanga, Bearsden liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Yet......Fred Quimby versions are now deemed too violent for bairns to see.
By Lindsayp
I love Top Cat. No idea who wrote/produced them but I grew up with them in 60's and the current tv ads using TC make me smile at the memories.
By Rob L
I used to work with someone who's name was Joe Avery. I called him "Fred" for years, until he asked me why I called him Fred.

I told him Avery > Tex Avery > Fred Quimby and hence Fred. Skewed thinking, but he got it in the end!

Rob
By Rob L
Bill McCarthy wrote:Yet......Fred Quimby versions are now deemed too violent for bairns to see.

But said wee bairns are permitted to watch soaps which have moiders (Chicago accent) every week :?: .

When Bill McCarthy and I were small children, we knew that Tom & Jerry was a cartoon for children, and it entertained us (as it does to this day). Slap and Tickle, by another cartoonist.

<sigh>

If it's come to the state that T&J can't be shown, they'll be banning the Simpsons next :(
By Korenwolf
Rob L wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:Yet......Fred Quimby versions are now deemed too violent for bairns to see.

But said wee bairns are permitted to watch soaps which have moiders (Chicago accent) every week :?: .

When Bill McCarthy and I were small children, we knew that Tom & Jerry was a cartoon for children, and it entertained us (as it does to this day). Slap and Tickle, by another cartoonist.

<sigh>

If it's come to the state that T&J can't be shown, they'll be banning the Simpsons next :(

Sadly it's true, the little cartoon scamps have long been removed from the TV channels in the US, not only for the "violence" (which always involved partially dismembered/blown up/immolated victims being back together in the next frame) but also for 'Mammy two shoes', the large black lady shouting "THO-MAS!!!!!" and whacking Tom with a house broom. Benny Hill's long gone from the networks of course, and now a university professor has said that when he showed the episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye grabs Hotlips and kisses her goodbye to a group of students, there was an audible gasp at the unsolicited advance....
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My dad was watching Tom and Jerry the other day. I don't know what channel it was on. I watched about 5 seconds of it as I passed through the living room on my way from the kitchen to upstairs.