For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This from the news page now raises a fundamental issue about HMG and Brexit. Their position in respect of the ECJ makes taking part in almost any Europe wide activity impossible. States presently not in the EU have no difficulty recognising the ECJ in specific contexts why on earth can't we :roll:

At this rate we'll all have to move to the M or 2 reg just to keep flying :roll:

I've got a post restante address in the Guernsey bailiwick which I'll make available for a small fee :twisted:
By Sooty25
and on what authority does Dave Calderwood speak?

"according to reports that EU negotiators are taking a hardline on aviation" isn't fact.

What is fact is that not all member states of EASA are in the EU, it isn't the EU's call. There is always the option to accept ECJ for matters relating to EASA aviation.

If Mr Calderwood is as biased and negative as yourself john, this could just be media bullsh1t once again, used by yourself to whinge about Brexit. If everybody just worked towards what the majority of voters voted for and stopped being "bad loosers" we'd actually get a better deal. It is the likes of you that will be to blame if we end up with a less than perfect exit.

If you really don't like the idea of post-Brexit Britain, leave, it's on 22 miles to France.
gasman, Genghis the Engineer, MikeW and 3 others liked this
By David Roberts
I just posted the following on another aviation forum in response to this news story, but in Reuters:
Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, which are not members of the EU of course, but are "members of EASA", though that phrase is wrongly applied as EASA does not have membership as such. Member States are members of the EU, of which EASA is an Agency of the European Commission. Certain non-EU countries
subscribe to and apply the EASA rules in order to have complete cohesion with the EU in civil aviation. Whether or not Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are subject to the European Court of Justice I do not know but can find out from Norwegian, Icelandic and Swiss colleagues.

Sounds to me like an EU negotiating tactic to extract concessions from the UK.
Charley Farley liked this
By tomshep
Sooty: I was able to leave and move to France and had planned to do so.
Then the Bonehead Revolution screwed that up for me and looks like charging me £800 for doing so.
Katamarino liked this
By johnm
If you really don't like the idea of post-Brexit Britain, leave, it's on 22 miles to France.

Unfortunately Brexit means I can't easily go because I would need to obtain French citizenship (or citizenship of another EU country) in order to exercise the benefits of EU citizenship. I certainly don't like the way the UK is going. If I could find an Irish ancestor..................

I didn't set the idiotic red lines that the Tories set to appease their right wing nutters and neither did many of the Brexit voters I speak to.

In the EASA and other contexts the ECJ is a legal interpretation and arbitration body and we sign up to those in a number of contexts, why ECJ has to be different is a mystery known only to those Europhobes driving the Tories.
Katamarino, UpThere liked this
By golfcharlie
You could move to Ulster, where I understand residents are entitled to apply for citizenship in Eire. I know nothing of the small print, and stand to be corrected.
By Katamarino
Sooty25 wrote:It is the likes of you that will be to blame if we end up with a less than perfect exit.

It'll be the fault of those who voted for it. Many of us would love to bugger off to the continent, and that would be a lot easier if we weren't about to have our rights to live and work there stripped away to satisfy a bunch of xenophobic ****s.

Hopefully the idea of an EU citizenship will come about!

In terms of EASA, perhaps the CAA could simply apply to be the 51st state of the FAA? Would be good to see at least one positive coming out of this all...strong language

some strong language has been edited
By riverrock
golfcharlie wrote:You could move to Ulster, where I understand residents are entitled to apply for citizenship in Eire. I know nothing of the small print, and stand to be corrected.

You need to have been born in NI before the Good Friday Agreement (or you parents / Grandparents need to get Irish Passports first).
Or if you have lived in the part of Ulster that is part of the Irish Republic (like Donegal) for long enough, you can go through the naturalisation process ( https://drive.ciboodle.com/SVN/tesco/Ag ... R_InMoment )
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Can we tone down the pejorative language please?

We get it that people have opposing views, and it is pretty clear by now which posters have which opinions.

But using terms like "idiot" or "remoaner" add nothing at all to the sum of human knowledge and as we all have seen so often then will lead to pointless bad-tempered arguments.

They also obscure any otherwise valid points, because people will avoid the thread. So you aren't helping your own position by doing that.
G-BLEW, ak7274, Jonzarno and 16 others liked this
By Irv Lee
I just put the phone down with a smile on my face as I have learned a new perjorative term that I didn't know before. Talking about a potential ppl Masterclass for Eire, apparently potential attendees need to know that I am "not a chancer or someone from (...a certain Irish city)". Brilliant!
:D
riverrock, johnm liked this