For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:
skydriller wrote:
nallen wrote:If you want to export fresh fish, it seems pretty dumb to me to land them in the UK and then freight them to the continent...

ALL these trucks are French or Spanish registered because the road taxes for trucks are cheaper there than in the UK, regardless of if the company is a British, French or Spanish company.

As for the trucks, see the pothole thread.

What seems to be increasingly common on the motorway is a tractor/trailer combination with mismatched plates. One will be Spanish and the other Romanian. The plate seems to be no more than a flag of convenience.
By Irv Lee
Briefly back to the title, and who knows, this may be a repeat of something hidden under the fish, but whilst i believe uk will stay in easa with no change except we will pay-in in a different way to how we pay-in now, ideally i would like to see sufficient government money invested in the GA organisations so that they can run national licensing (icao ppl and nppl) for GA, taking easa out of licensing for anyone just flying anything non commercially outside airways. This would lead to sensible aviation oversight rather than the political dogma base we have today. The moment you wanted to fly commercial or mix it in airways, easa conversion courses into the easa system where they standardise to easa needs, whatever they may be.
cockney steve, kanga, Sooty25 and 1 others liked this
By johnm
Getting recognition of an ICAO compliant PPL or NPPL may not be a trivial exercise, but should be doable. However if it is really ICAO compliant it ought to be possible to add ratings to it, but a full IR may be beyond the capabilities of alphabet soup outfits.

IMHO @Irv Lee suggestion would be a backwards step as we ought to be encouraging take up of IR in Europe and EASA has made more progress on that in 5 years than the CAA did in 50.

We should also be looking to get EASA more and more consistent across states so that flying Europe is akin to flying in the USA.
By Irv Lee
Firstly, as I said, I don't believe we will change at all. But since 1999 we have been sacrificing real private aviation needs to meet the vocal needs of the relatively few. Want an I/r? Fine... Convert to Easa at your expense, my "wishes" didn't envisage otherwise. We should not be regulating Joe Plumber and Fred Busdriver out of aviation just because a small percentage of GA pilots want to go to some Swiss club and rent a German aircraft on a uk issued ppl. If they want to do that, why should someone whose total flying life is confined to a C172 in Yorkshire and surrounding counties effectively pay for that?
Added: just to emphasise @johnm , I am not wishing to stop anyone doing anything, unlike Easa who are determined to stop things that don't need stopping. Do private pilots who benefit from Easa (say easier I/r) actually support the idea that Easa stops other pilots from doing things like flying a 172 locally on less than an Easa medical? But whilst Easa is what it is, the benefitters are effectively parasites on fellow aviators.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick, flybymike, Sooty25 liked this
By Irv Lee
It's unelected politicians, really isn't it, ordering the career b-Eurocrats on what to do? Didn't Easa really come about when the jaa found itself with more non EU members than EU members at the time? I don't mind politicians deciding to have a stranglehold over commercials, it is the belief that they cannot sort out standardisation on the move up from real private GA into that domain that is wrong. At the moment, commercial pilot instructors are constantly curing the c**p they are presented with in the first few hours of a commercial course, either reasonably good pilots who have had a year off for ground exams, or pilots who believe they got good ppl training in the first place but didn't. (Even if it was under Easa!)
By PaulB
Could this be how we’ll deal with the ECJ issue?

By James33
This is just poppycock. :shock:

Plenty of people drive in Europe as visitors with licences from countries all over the world, and indeed you can drive in most EU countries for 12 months with any licence before needing to exchange it.

Where it may be an issue is with insurance for UK HGV drivers for example, if they are driving for an EU operator and the company's insurance only covers EU licences.
By johnm
Sooty25 wrote:and the latest little gem

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk-driving-licences-may-rejected-eu-brexit/

That simply takes us back to where we were in the 1960s when one had to get an international driving permit from the AA or the RAC to go with one's UK driving licence in order to drive across much of Europe.

The Vienna convention of 1968 implemented in 1977 (I think) simplified matters a bit but as the EU is not a state we would need to look at the EU member state signatories of the convention. Those that signed no problem, those that didn't individual rules will apply to drivers from non-EU countries AIUI.
By Bill Haddow
I think sundry national tourism boards plus the car hire giants would quickly put the haims on any attempt to make life difficult for Brits wanting to drive in EU vassal states.

Bill H
By Bathman
Just a reminder under the old UK system you could do all your IR training with a suitably qualified instructor. No ATO involved at all.

And people say the CBIR was a great step forward and it is. But the old UK system offered far greater flexibility further reduced cost and you still had to the same standard to pass the check ride.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Irv Lee wrote:Firstly, as I said, I don't believe we will change at all. But since 1999 we have been sacrificing real private aviation needs to meet the vocal needs of the relatively few. Want an I/r? Fine... Convert to Easa at your expense, my "wishes" didn't envisage otherwise. We should not be regulating Joe Plumber and Fred Busdriver out of aviation just because a small percentage of GA pilots want to go to some Swiss club and rent a German aircraft on a uk issued ppl. If they want to do that, why should someone whose total flying life is confined to a C172 in Yorkshire and surrounding counties effectively pay for that?
Added: just to emphasise @johnm , I am not wishing to stop anyone doing anything, unlike Easa who are determined to stop things that don't need stopping. Do private pilots who benefit from Easa (say easier I/r) actually support the idea that Easa stops other pilots from doing things like flying a 172 locally on less than an Easa medical? But whilst Easa is what it is, the benefitters are effectively parasites on fellow aviators.

Irv

That really naffs me off.

I got a UK CAA PPL yonks ago and have done nothing to curtail others who want to fly in whatever jalopy they want.

Yes, I did get a UK issued EASA licence and use this to fly in different EASA states.

To suggest that either I or anyone else going the same or similar is somehow 'wishing to stop anyone doing anything' or that others are paying for my privileges is bonkers.

You know very well that I very much in favour of anyone being able to anything arial as long as they are safe and competent, it is for that reason that I have been happy to support the BGA and LAA in all things medical including many years of giving free advice to their members and helping them in various ways including writing to their GPs when they did not get they declarations signed etc.

EASA is not great and some things are downright not good but too many people seem to wear pink tinted glasses thinking that in the good old days when it was just the CAA who regulated flying in the UK all was well.

I may be old but still have enough agility to remember that there was plenty wrong at the time.

Maybe you should explore your memory a bit and think back to the time you could only fly if you had a CAA issued PPL with the commensurate medical in a PA28 which was subjected to a number of (some costly) AANs and POH improvements thought out by someone in the Belgrano.

:roll:

Or instruct with at least a BCPL and a Class 1 Medical........

Or not got a medical because some ex RAF MO decreet, 'them' were the rules cause we have always done it like that.........

Or had to take off your German exhaust kit, because it wasn't invented over here...........
johnm liked this