For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Guys, a couple of weeks ago we heard that Apple had issued an “upgrade” that intentionally slowed down iPhones, (allegedly) to minimise the impact of aging batteries.

Does anyone know whether, if we get the batteries replaced, does the “upgrade” recognise this and return the iPhone to normal operating speed. Eg is it worth getting the batteries replaced, or is the phone now permanently b........d?
By Lefty
“ Asked and Answered”

FYI, I’ve just found the Apple support page with thier announcement on the aging battery problem.
It says:
1) the phone does return to full speed when the batteries are replaced.
2) they have reduced the price of replacement battery from £89 to just £25.
3) early in 2018 they plan to issue a new upgrade that tells the user if thier battery needs to be changed.

I’m off to get mine changed ASAP.
Lefty wrote:3) early in 2018 they plan to issue a new upgrade that tells the user if thier battery needs to be changed.

Amazing how long it takes for Apple to release an update to display battery health in the battery section of the settings when they already know what it is. Surely that would be available in the next minor update (which I have just had) if they already had the number. And when it is plugged in shouldn't in run superfast again as it can be powered from the cable?

Apple's story doesn't add up.
By PaulB
... am I the only one to think that this is a storm in a teacup and shouldn't be given the prominence that it has been given in the news. To my mind, it's Apple's PR that suffered a massive failing here.... what they developed was a really clever bit of technology to keep older phones going for longer.... what they failed to do was sell it in the right way.

It almost happened again with the recent *Intel* chip flaws. The emphasis in the press was what Apple were doing and about their potential failings rather than the fact that this flaw probably affected 99% of devices out there.

With regards Pete S's 4s, that's more than 5 years old... given the speed that tech moves, it'd be surprising if it performed as well as on the day it was bought.
I suspect you are in the minority. Purposefully hindering a product's usability forcing an expensive upgrade is wrong on levels from poor customer experience, through enforced upgrades to a waste of natural resource. Bearing in mind the OS hasn't been updated for iPhone 4 and 4s there isn't a valid reason IMO why it shouldn't perform properly on the core functions such as phone, messaging and email which are all OS apps not app store apps (therefore out of their control). Those not being usable as a result of the manufacturer shipping software that makes it unusable is not acceptable. That being based upon nonsense such as battery health (until it gets to a very low level) that they are unable to display very quickly despite apparently monitoring it and slowing down software as a result of it is very wrong.
By PaulB
Nothing has changed with the 4S, has it?

About a year ago in iOS 10.2.1, we delivered a software update that improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.

Customer response to iOS 10.2.1 was positive, as it successfully reduced the occurrence of unexpected shutdowns. We recently extended the same support for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in iOS 11.2.

Of course, when a chemically aged battery is replaced with a new one, iPhone performance returns to normal when operated in standard conditions.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
By Lefty
GrahamB wrote:Although they are not exactly alone in that.
:) :roll:

Nice one Graham.

My own suspicion is that Apple probably have suffered a problem with their battery supplier and that slowing down the processor is a neat way to mask the the real problem whilst allowing them to gain the moral high ground by offering free, or heavily discounted battery replacement.

We’ve all seen the PR nightmare suffered by Samsung over their battery problem.

I’ve got an appointment to get a new battery fitted tomorrow afternoon.
By johnm
My 4S is still going strong and I cleared a load of photos out the other day to give it a bit more space.
Mrs Johnm 6S also works well.

My ipad is used for most portable needs apart from voice and whatsapp