For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nick wrote:I have a small metal device in the shape of an egg, called a "tea ball." It splits into two parts. You put the required amount of tea into it assemble it and drop it into your cup hooking the attached chain onto the handle. Pour hot water into your cup and when it is brewed to satisfaction lift it out and place it into it's own receptacle to drain. Basically a rechargeable teabag!

Nick

Yep: Our kitchen drawer has several of those, tea balls , perforated teaspoons with crocodile like jaws,open ended strainer-like contraptions.

Still too much faff for me. :wink:

Peter
By PaulB
I think all those who are married will have subsequently found out that they married an expert! :shock:
Nick, Paul_Sengupta liked this
By kanga
Probably being argued about as soon as the term 'china drink' was superseded:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42665167

[early 18thc English pronunciation was probably 'tay' not 'tee'; Alexander Pope on Queen Anne:

"Here thou, Great Anna! whom three realms obey
Dost sometimes council take - and sometimes tea. "

.. possibly reflecting importation of the word, as well as the product at that time, from France. Nearest 'chay' area is probably Russia-Turkey; in the latter, the (Latin script) "c,ay" is pronounced to rhyme with 'eye', as in Russian; a word and pronunciation reflected all the way across the Turkic world as far East as Kyrgyzstan, which abuts the Turkic Uighur lands in what is now China, so overland shipment, bearing out the theory. The Modern Greek "tsa'i' " was presumably adopted from Turkish in Ottoman times. Tea was imported to UK in quantities (and by sea) which reduced it in price from high luxury (why early tea caddies had locks, for protection against thieving servants) to widely affordable only when tea plants were smuggled from China to British India in late 18th c. Following book is good:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Gold-Emp ... 0091895456

As ever, probably more than most Forumites wanted to know .. :oops: ]
By Bill McCarthy
Reading about jasmine tea on here has made my stomach churn again - an on watch stoker mashed some of the stuff in a big aluminium jug, taking distilled water from the tea urn in the upper level of the engine room. The leaves in the bottom of the jug looked like silage. I was ill for a week after a mug of the stuff. Our normal brew was made from loose tealeaves with tinned Carnation milk (or the putrid granulated stuff when the tins ran out). Mind you, it takes a while to get weaned off it after getting ashore.