For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Most (all?) improvements in safety supported by law follow public enquiries after disasters.

It looks like Grenfell has started to uncover poor practice in product testing and approval. I expect significant changes will ensue.

The testimony of survivors and relatives makes a welcome change to the previous practice of sidelining them early on, which also meant important evidence wasn’t heard. (Aberfan, Hillsborough.)
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:...As for Cerys Thingy doing the blues show, she has a voice and delivery made for silent movies.
That has to be one of the best comments I have seen from you Rob. It is of course totally accurate !
By Cns416
Jim Jones wrote:
It looks like Grenfell has started to uncover poor practice in product testing and approval. I expect significant changes will ensue.

I'm going to pss myself laughing if it turns out that it was an EU product certified and made and poorly tested outside the UK.
The root cause is not the failure of white goods, but the answer as to how materials not suitable or tested or installed correctly were installed on a building over 18mtrs, failed to be prevented by all those involved in the whole of the planning/procurement/building regs/control process.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cns416 wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:

I'm going to pss myself laughing if it turns out that it was an EU product certified and made and poorly tested outside the UK.

You might like to know then that the supplier is headquartered in the USA, the product was tested in France and reports classified it accurately, but the Company didn't share that info with British Board of Agrement (the UK standards body) who approve products by taking a company's word.
Cns416 wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:

And if it turns out to be a UK-made and installed product where EU rules were bypassed due to a lack of publicly funded and accountable inspection systems?..
By kanga
Jim Jones wrote:..
And if it turns out to be.. rules were bypassed due to a lack of publicly funded and accountable inspection systems?..

there has been no 'publicly-funded accountability' structure for subnational governmental activity (eg, governance of Local Authority housing) since the Audit Commission was abolished as a 'superfluous quango'. The only routine scrutiny (until an incident provokes a Public Enquiry) are the 'local' papers (these days, often part of a national franchise with reporters based elsewhere, and with no funds nor incentive for probing investigations), or exceptionally energetic and independent-minded Councillors, or individuals ingeniously using FOIA, or possibly (given sufficient prima facie evidence of apparent gross criminality) the police.

But it's all been more 'efficient', of course :roll:
By JoeC
Cns416 wrote:

So let me get this right - rather than look at the UK's own piss-practice and culpability you're (without any evidence) hoping it was the EU's and some foreign country's fault so that you can have a good laugh?

Why?
By Rob P
As the thread originator can I observe that this has wandered a lot further off topic than I am comfortable with?

Rob P