For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
defcribed wrote:If she were to work in the pharmaceutical industry with that pharmacy degree then within 5-10 years she could easily be earning far more than any airline pilot will ever earn.

Most industry research jobs require a PhD don't they?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:If she were to work in the pharmaceutical industry with that pharmacy degree then within 5-10 years she could easily be earning far more than any airline pilot will ever earn.

I doubt that. Friends of mine holding fairly senior positions in the pharmaceutical industry are each on 50-odd K after 25 years or so. And yes, they all have PhDs.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

I doubt that. Friends of mine holding fairly senior positions in the pharmaceutical industry are each on 50-odd K after 25 years or so. And yes, they all have PhDs.

Perhaps @defcribed had Pablo Escobar in mind? Not sure if he has a PhD, though. :wink:
Spooky, Paul_Sengupta liked this
Bathman wrote:Actually she was looking at working for the NHS.

What year is she in and where?
I would argue that many professions have lost their glamour over the last decade or two.

Flying as a career has it's moments - good and bad. I've been extremely lucky in my career and have had the privilege of being a captain before the age of 30 on an Airbus and thus earning enough to have a comfortable life. Time away from home can be a true ball ache at times but I have more days off and more leave than most of my friends and the time away can be fantastic. The last few months have varied from swimming with turtles in the Caribbean to watching the sunset over Manhattan with a cocktail in my hand to a challenging 3 sector day around Europe with consideration of snow, low visibility procedures and high winds.

It's great fun but requires an understanding family for when you miss the odd birthday or turn up for Christmas dinner at 1700 with jet lag. My wife also has to be extremely understanding when I suggest going flying on my days off!

Getting through airports as a passenger is by far the more infuriating part of aviation for me; there is no glamour at all left in airports (except a few lounges).