For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Talkdownman
TheFarmer wrote:Twice recently I’ve found myself giving my card to a sales person who’ve taken it upon themselves to verbally tell me the cost of what I’m buying, and then use my contactless facility without my permission and out of my sight

Has happened to me a couple of times. Have disabled the contactless:

http://www.woodall.me.uk/barclays/

Most effective.
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:AIUI there is no 30 quid limit to Apple Pay. Apparently the fingerprint ID feature is considered so secure that it can authorise up to £10k (subject to retailer settings)

As FD says, whether or not a retailer will accept a payment for over £30 does seem to be down to the retailer's (/ acquiring bank's?) policy or POS equipment. Apple are fairly vague stating merely
Apple Pay allows your customers to make easy and secure contactless payments of any amount.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204274
You might not be able to use Apple Pay for purchases over 30 GBP.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207435

I love using Apple Pay, but do wish there was more clarity to the acceptance rules.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but is using Apple Pay not introducing another party that has your personal detail, spend detail, spend pattern and subject to misuse and attack?

Again as I understand it the vital information such as card number etc stays on your phone and is not shared either with Apple or the retailer.

Whether Apple c.s. has access to what you have paid for what where, I don't know and to be honest I am not to fussed about that either.

Don't think that Apple is more/less crooked than the banks/government.
By defcribed
There's a little disease going round bars/restaurants/cafes in London. It goes like this:

The staff indicate that you should hand your card to them rather than passing you the chip & PIN machine. They put the card in, press some buttons and then pass it to you for PIN entry, accompanied by the words "happy with the amount?"

If you think about it, it seems a slightly strange thing to be asked. This typically happens when you've bought, say, a round of drinks - so you have a rough idea of how much you're in for but you won't know exactly.

The reason for these slightly unexpected words is that they've added a tip without asking you, and with these words are seeking your consent for that tip without explicitly mentioning it.

Naughty, IMHO.
By defcribed
Quite, except the point is you're transacting business at a table rather than at a till. You don't have an itemised bill in front of you, you just have a chip & PIN machine with "£34.27" showing as the transaction amount - which looks about right.
By PaulB
Colonel Panic wrote:I love using Apple Pay, but do wish there was more clarity to the acceptance rules.

Me too.... I don't think the lack of clarity is really down to Apple in this case.
By Flyin'Dutch'
defcribed wrote:Quite, except the point is you're transacting business at a table rather than at a till. You don't have an itemised bill in front of you, you just have a chip & PIN machine with "£34.27" showing as the transaction amount - which looks about right.

Maybe I look scary but none of the above has (until now!) happened to me - and yes I have been to London.

They probably sense that I am a tight Dutch git.

:D :D
By PaulB
defcribed wrote:Quite, except the point is you're transacting business at a table rather than at a till. You don't have an itemised bill in front of you, you just have a chip & PIN machine with "£34.27" showing as the transaction amount - which looks about right.

When would you ever pay anything if you didn't know what you were paying for?
Is the general consensus that I (all not using phones) am missing out not using them to make payments. To be honest I have never looked at what's involved, or how to do it, on the basis I've never thought there a problem in the methods I use (Cash for a round of drinks, credit card where appropriate).
Nick liked this
By rikur_
Miscellaneous wrote:Is the general consensus that I (all not using phones) am missing out not using them to make payments. To be honest I have never looked at what's involved, or how to do it, on the basis I've never thought there a problem in the methods I use (Cash for a round of drinks, credit card where appropriate).

I dabbled with Apple Pay and its Android chums for a while, and didn't seem to get enough benefit to be worth the hassle. I now have a mini-contactless "card" as a key fob, and find the usability is perfect for me ..... just reach in right pocket, grab keys, place on reader .... no faffing around getting cards out of wallet
Miscellaneous liked this
By PaulB
Interesting.... How do you choose which card with it and I assume it's useless if stolen?
By Flyin'Dutch'
PaulB wrote:When would you ever pay anything if you didn't know what you were paying for?

Quite; but we have to accept not everyone is from Yorkshire or Dutch.

I was sceptical about the benefits but now I have Apple Pay found it to useful and use it daily.

Saves time and faff.
By rikur_
PaulB wrote:Interesting.... How do you choose which card with it and I assume it's useless if stolen?

A few options around - the longest standing being bpay: https://www.bpay.co.uk/

Use the mobile app to link it to an existing debit/credit card to top-up to an agreed level (I have mine top-up with £30 when below £15)

You get a text every time it tops up - and you can switch-off the top-up instantly whenever you like.

Therefore I am typically exposed to up to £45 if I were to lose it .... which seems reasonable given the amount of cash I would carry if I didn't use contactless. It also keeps clutter off my main credit card statement.