For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Quite so.

Being uber-liberal and parading one's right-on sentiments all over social media is getting to be a little tiresome these days.

Rob P

Never been called über-liberal or a snowflake before!

:D :D

Anyway, why would it be OK to say that these aircraft been sold but not so to raise the issue that selling weapons to dodgy regimes may not be the way forward?

:scratch:
By Paultheparaglider
Sooty25 wrote:The tax BAE and its staff pays, contributes towards the ambulance that may pick you up one day, and our ailing health service, you know, the services suffering whilst all the "snowflakes" buy their christmas presents through Amazon who promptly strip the profit out of the UK.

Paultheparaglider wrote:I wonder how Saudi Arabia will respond.

With any luck the Saudi's response will be "I'll call your 24 Typhoons and raise you another 24 Typhoons"

I very much doubt it, Sooty.

My post wasn't intended as a negative, just a touch of realism. There has in recent months been a very sensitive standoff between Qatar, supported by Iran, on the one side, and the Saudis, Emirates, and Egypt on the other. I've attached a link below which adds a little meat to the bones:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 11016.html

This has resulted in Qatar, amongst other things, being banned from big swathes of airspace around them. The situation is undoubtedly delicate.

Taking into account that the Saudis have historically been a major market for UK defence exports, I see it as entirely likely there will be some backlash here.

By the way, I'm a former employee of BAe myself, and wish them well.
By Bill McCarthy
Before I was press ganged into the submarine service - I actually had a shore job for ten months out of my twenty three years in the mob, I was teaching Iranians and Libyans in Gosport in marine maintenance (as we had sold them decommissioned RN warships). This was in 1969/70 when Qadafi(?) was in charge and the Shah was teetering on the brink. Needless to say, things didn't turn out too well in those areas.
By Sooty25
The only time it will turn out well, is when they all run out of oil.
By skydriller
Sooty25 wrote:The only time it will turn out well, is when they all run out of oil.

I can assure you that isnt going to happen any time soon...
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Anyway, why would it be OK to say that these aircraft been sold but not so to raise the issue that selling weapons to dodgy regimes may not be the way forward?

It's absolutely ok to raise that point if that is your thinking.

It just doesn't prevent it being very tiresome (in my opinion)

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob P wrote:It's absolutely ok to raise that point if that is your thinking.

It just doesn't prevent it being very tiresome (in my opinion)

Rob P

Busted!

You're one of my teenage kids!

:D

I have now reached an age which allows me to be a miserable old git, and I will therefore exercise the right to be grumpy.

Unfortunately there is much to be critical about.

Maybe when I get even older I will mellow and don't worry about Carp in the world and stop posting about it.

Until then there's always the option to stick me on your foe list.

:D
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Maybe when I get even older I will mellow and don't worry about Carp in the world and stop posting about it.

Based on my own personal experience of how I'm going, I doubt it. This is backed up by plenty of evidence every day on this place from others.

As a physician, you must surely know that even though you might go through short periods with a slight upwards turn, the overall trend only goes one way as you get older. After 40, whatever they try to tell you about 50 being the new forty and similar decade based bs, it is all an ever accelerating downhill slide. That's what makes us ever grumpier and grumpier. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Not in a thousand years FD.

It's only a forum

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By GolfHotel
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
I have now reached an age which allows me to be a miserable old git, and I will therefore exercise the right to be grumpy.

Unfortunately there is much to be critical about.

what you need is a dislike button. :lol: :lol: