For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
cockney steve wrote:No mention, yet, of throttling or contention-ratio.

In our case I doubt that is likely to be a significant problem on the copper due low number of houses, unless designed in. :evil:

The type of throttling / contention that impacts most people is usually nothing to do with Openreach, but is applied by the customer's ISP (e.g. TalkTalk who whoever) in their core network. Whilst it is theoretically possible for the cabinet to be the point of contention, in practice this is rarely the cause of slow down seen by customers.
rikur_ wrote:The type of throttling / contention that impacts most people is usually nothing to do with Openreach, but is applied by the customer's ISP (e.g. TalkTalk who whoever) in their core network. Whilst it is theoretically possible for the cabinet to be the point of contention, in practice this is rarely the cause of slow down seen by customers.

That's interesting and could possibly explain chevvron's experience?
By johnm
ADSL performance is non-linear as well as asymmetric. So if more than a mile or so from the Fibre cabinet speed will drop away very quickly. Openreach will generally install fibre cabinets in estates and use copper to deliver the final mile because it's there. However "Copper" covers a multitude of sins in cable types, some aluminium, some copper and steel as well as just copper. All have different performance characteristics.

It's worth complaining to BT rather than calling support (complete waste of time) because that will eventually get a BT Openreach engineer to your home and you can persuade him to condition the cable from your house to the cabinet. In my case that turned 2mb/.5mb into 9mb/.5mb.

I now have 50mb/50mb courtesy of the Fastershire rural broadband initiative that brought fibre to the house.
Last edited by johnm on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rikur_
Miscellaneous wrote:
That's interesting and could possibly explain chevvron's experience?

Just to clarify, I was referring specifically to contention and throttling, as opposed to line speed.
Based upon what @chevron has said in previous threads I think he's got some sort of line fault, probably a damp joint where water is getting at the cable.
The speed improvement he experienced when swapping ISP is probably one of three things:
1) a newer modem that's better at handling line noise;
2) a SNR (signal to noise ratio) reset (if a line has suffered drop outs the DSLAM increases the target SNR to improve stability, but at the expense of slowing down the connection)
3) a different service bought by the ISP from openreach ... e.g. ADSL2 vs ADSL Max
By rikur_
Final lesson of the morning .... if you put your neighbour's phone number into this site:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
....It should tell you if the line is connected directly to the exchange, or to a cabinet. If it's showing as exchange, keep trying from time to time to see when it gets migrated across to a cabinet.