For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Historically, Wetherspoon beer has always been served too cold for my liking, and the problem is now endemic with much beer kept at lager temperatures.

Recent exception at (senior moment) ...the pub in Fritham in the new forest. Ringwood and others on gravity, open fires good simple Ploughman's lunch. Ahhhh.....
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote:banned piped music from his pubs

Hmm.

If they want piped music, they just rename them "Lloyds No. 1" and then put the music on. As they did with the one in Guildford. You now have to queue to get in and there are bouncers on the door. Not that it's any busier than it used to be when it was "just" a Wetherspoons.

As a result I tend to go to the one in Godalming if I do go.

Shame as the one in Guildford was nice, it's a lovely building and always had a great atmosphere.
By Flyin'Dutch'
You live and learn!

Two things that I have learned from this thread:

1. That there is such a thing as a posh Wetherspoon's Pub - only experience is the local one in DTY. OK but certainly not posh and frequented on the whole by those who prefer cost over ambiance and quality.
2. The life history of Beatrice Shilling - interesting. Thanks G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Posh is probably in the eye of the beerholder, but I went into the aeronatically titled Tilly Shilling in Farnborough the other day, and couldn't fault food, drink or decor. I would recommend it to anybody.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... arnborough

G

Trouble is it's on a busy road with yellow lines and has no parking spaces apart from the council car park.
Miss Schilling (I'm sure that is the correct original spelling but it was probably 'anglicised' to Shilling) was also a member of the RAE Rifle and Pistol Club where I met her.
Her rectification for the Merlin's problem (momentary loss of power during negative 'g') was known as the 'Schilling Orifice'.
By Genghis the Engineer
If you are so posh that you can't spend £2 for 4 hours parking in a "council" car park immediately behind the pub, there may be no hope for you Chevvron !

Beatrice's father, Henry was in his 50s when he married her mother in 1909 - in the 1870s the young Henry Shilling had served in the British army as a Rifleman. Shilling it is.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:If you are so posh that you can't spend £2 for 4 hours parking in a "council" car park immediately behind the pub, there may be no hope for you Chevvron !

Beatrice's father, Henry was in his 50s when he married her mother in 1909 - in the 1870s the young Henry Shilling had served in the British army as a Rifleman. Shilling it is.

G

Since I retired I've rarely visited Farnborough as I live nearer to both Woking and Camberley (where there are Wetherspoons also) and haven't a clue what parking in Farnborough costs nowadays.
Only go to Farnborough to visit B & Q who have their own (free) car park with a burger van.
So after reading most of this thread I guess not many on here actually listened to the program. I did and he was very interesting.

The quote that stands out to me from memory from last Friday so will not be word perfect " Many managers think what they think is important it is not, it is what others think that is"

When I heard him say that I thought to myself he must have been reading/lurking in the flyer forum. :lol: :lol:

Stuart
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Though the ADSA next door to B&Q charge for their car park. £1 IIRC.

Seems a bit odd given that it's surrounded by business parks with free car parks.

The ASDA car park is council run and charges the standard fee, but just across the road from that is a 'Maplin' shop (plus others) where parking is free.

As regards Wetherspoons, there used to be a bar with a Wetherspoon franchise in South Terminal at Gatwick which me and Mrs C used to frequent whenever we went on holiday.