For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By condor17
Gents , ‘wot a great thread .
For the Anglians . One of the reasons to leave ‘Naarfick 46 yrs ago was the Watneys monopoly . [ Study , work and wimmen were others ] .
My childhood memories of Lacons , Steward and Patteson [S and P ] , Bullards et al . All sunk by Watneys . Around the fringe Adnams and Greene King made some forays into the bulge . Luckily my school town [ over the Southern border ] had Adnams .
Only realised the renaissance of Anglian brewing when intro’d to Wherry by my sister living in Salhouse/Woodbastwick .
Maybe , i’m the jinx . I’ve had to apologise to many friends in Sussex and the Lewes area for the ‘Daarset takeover . They curse Hall and Woodhouse .
In this part of Wessex I can reach out and commend to you to Ringwood Bitter , Sixpenny Handley [ originally from Surrey , now relocated to Cranbourne ] , The Piddles [ Piddlehintion ].
A little too bitter for my taste is Butcombe , and further West is Palmers , ‘tho a bit too ‘red’ for me .
In spite of apologies to Sussex and because of availability and nearness I do quaff the Badger varieties from H and W .
Lovely subject , keep the stories coming .
Rgds condor .
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I cut my alcoholic teeth on Tolly's Harvest Brown in Cambridge from a local offy where my wife to be's brother and I managed to con the offie chap.

I then got holiday jobs all through my school years at the Star Brewery Newmarket Road Cambridge (Tolly Cobbold) graduating to the wine /spirits store.Was even left age 17 in charge of the cutting and bottling of Lambs Navy Rum when the storeman suddenly went off sick. I think the Star Brewery has a lot to answer for.We got 4 pints of mild /day ration (even though I was under age).Frequent visits to the bonded warehouse inThompson's lane where the bonded whisky was released duty paid by the Customs & Excise officer, (my dad!), meant that I got to sample some amazing single malts and brandies.

Now it's a load of luxury flats. Dunno if Tolly's still brews in Ipswich or Walthamstow.

Other beers from my teen years were Lacons from Lacons brewery in Panton Street just behind the Perse Girls School and Charles Wells (later Wells & Winches from Bedford): Prolly long gone now.

Ah them was the days....

Peter
By Ridders
lobstaboy wrote: King and Barnes.
see previous comment give Hepworths a go, for reasons already mentioned :-) :thumleft:
condor17 wrote:Gents , ‘wot a great thread .Lovely subject , keep the stories coming .
Rgds condor .

So true .
Non-Av. threads like this just break down those funny little barriers that seem to be there when we're all discussing those other things with wings. [or rotors]
Like condor17 , I have also followed the posts on here with great interest and the common denominator has been that everyone has spoken from the heart without any ego related issues rearing their ugly heads.

Who cares about "types flown , hours as P1 , aviation knowledge & experience" .

It is fairly evident that ; "Types of Beer , Time on Type / Knowledge & Experience" in this field are infinitely more accurate pointers of character suitability than anything in your log-book ever will be .

:D
By Rob P
lobstaboy wrote:My favourite beers have all gone: Gales, Young's, King and Barnes.

Fremlins :(

Rob P
A couple of pints of stout for me late yesterday afternoon while out walking a neighbour's dog - Harviestoun Old Engine Oil and Oldershaw's Grantham Stout with four other beers on that I haven't had before - so much choice, I'll have to go back again late this afternoon.

And then home to check out what was next from my Beerhawk advent calendar, a gift courtesy of the neighbour for walking her dog (it was a 7.5% Italian beer that I thought I'd better leave until another day).

For any beer lovers, the 2018 Good Beer Guide is only £6.99 at Costco.

squawking 7700 wrote:And then home to check out what was next from my Beerhawk advent calendar

Blimey , we've got a few kindred spirits on here haven't we,,,,,,,,,?.. :D
A very good friend also gave me one of them Beerhawk advent calenders ,,,,[beats the hell out of those ones with chocolate in ] Wasn't yesterdays offering [ the 7.5%'er] an Australian beer ? I purposely put that one aside as it seemed a bit strong for lunch time , but may have to go back and continue my "research" today. :lol:

:thumright: :thumright: For the Old Engine Oil Stout as well , tried that at Wrights Oyster Bar in Boro' Market a couple of years back. Goes well with a few oysters that does , as does Whitstable Brewery Oyster Stout... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Aaaahh,,,,,,,,,I dunno ,,,,,,,so many different beers , so little time ! 8)
It's definitely Italian but it does mention Sydney on the front label.

The Whitstable Oyster Stout is on permanently at another micro pub in town and I did think about calling in for one late yesterday afternoon.

By kanga
Shiny wrote:..

As for US pale ale: This one is very good:..

[not a beer, nor anything alcoholic, drinker, but ..]

.. if we're going that far, this lovely venue is slightly closer than anything in US, with (I'm told) much-praised local beers, if you happen to be passing:

https://www.ratebeer.com/p/the-crows-ne ... hns/74664/

.. with a commemorative keg this year:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.4366046

[Canadians will, of course, insist that any Canadian beer will be superior to any US one :) ]
By Paul_Sengupta
When I was in Vancouver a few years ago, I discovered they had similar bitter fizzy stuff to the "craft" stuff in the US. At the brewery in the middle of the city, getting a sampler tray, I discovered that the barman was Irish. I asked him, more curious than anything, "Is there anywhere in this city I can get a proper pint?"

He said there were two places, and gave me their locations. I was curious so I went to have a look at one of them, having an excuse to make a river trip. It had probably a hundred taps of lagery and bitter fizzy stuff, doubtless many "craft" beers, all round the wall. So I asked...did they do proper beer? The answer came back, yes they did, they had a proper hand pulled beer. But...only on a Tuesday at (IIRC) 5pm and only one barrel. When that was gone, that was it until the next week and for the rest of the time they only had the stuff that was on the taps. It was extremely popular so would sell out very quickly.

So if anyone wants to make a killing, open a bar in Vancouver with proper beer!