For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
I don't recall the name of the above but a summary of the book very much reflects my own career. I was the Charge Chief of the propulsion dept on HMS Splendid during the Falklands and had some really major technical problems to deal with. I received a Commander-in-Chief Commendation and eventual BEM for resolving the issues. It raises the hairs on the back of my neck thinking about it.
By cirrostratus
I can recommend a visit to Gosport for the Royal Navy Sub Museum..... go inside a WWII sub HMS Alliance >>>>an easy visit by flying into to Lee on Solent and bus or cab ride.
Alternative is Chatham Royal Dockyard and visit HMS Ocelot ( a cold war sub from the 1960s) Fly in to Rochester and either a cab or bus again.
They really bring home the claustrophobic working conditions and bravery of anyone who served in Submarines.
By Bill McCarthy
A piece of black comedy devilment perhaps, but someone in the RN film unit at Faslane shoved "Das Boot" in with the other 16mm film selection when we set off for the Falklands in '82.
By Spooky
I visited Liverpool (I think!) on a school trip back around1992. They had HMS Plymouth and HMS Onyx on display. A Falklands veteran who had served on Plymouth was showing us around the two vessels. Even as a 10 year old the Sub felt tight!
By Rob P
Birkenhead

Merseyside, but decidedly not Liverpool

Rob P
By Spooky
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Do I understand that you saw a sign for Liverpool and felt nauseous?

I think there may be a connection :lol:
By PaulSS
Bill, when you write your book don't forget to add a scratch and sniff section for extra realism :D My trip in HMS Ocelot from Dartmouth was enough to convince me that WAFU was definitely the way to go. Respect to you smelly lot :thumright: