For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By AFKAE
Bill Haddow wrote: Plus you may well go into "your" bank to pay utility and other bills.

Bill H

Gosh technology is slow to make its way north of the border :wink:
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
You've fallen for the 'woe us' bank drivel like so many others.

I don't think so - but looking at the basics of it:

I probably average about £4000 in the bank over the course of the year, as I only use the bank for cashflow - anything else moved out to investments, or at worse the building society.
The bank pay me 3% interest on it - what can they earn with it? I'd be surprised if they get 4% even once they've pooled customer funds. So net they've made 1% of £4k = £40.
I withdraw cash about twice per month - that's 25p to Cashmachine or an equivalent each time = 24 * £0.25= £6 (I think there are also some Link costs on top of that??). About 10 direct debits/transfers/BACs/etc per month - assuming 15p each to process, that's another £18. They post me a paper statement each month, assume that costs them £0.50 per go in bulk, so another £6.... so they might be £10 per annum on a marginal cost basis - ignoring costs such as sending me a new debit card every 3 years, or writing off the occasional fraudulent transaction.
My credit card is with Amex, but even if it was with the bank I don't think the banks get rich on credit card fees since IFR limits this to 0.3%/0.2% .... not the old 1.2% it often was a few years ago
https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/news-insights/insight/18-months-impact-interchange-fee-regulation-european-union-cards-market
(ok, the merchant services arm of the bank is making money, but they will do regardless of whether I have an account with them).
By rikur_
matthew_w100 wrote:A banker mate tells me they lose money on current accounts..... HSBC keep writing to me to try to persuade me to close my account with them. I refuse, just to annoy them.

Perversely that's why I keep the current account at Lloyds .... I'd hate to burden the building society with those costs, as after all the building society has no shareholders, just customers.
By johnm
Banks aren’t banks anymore they are money retailers, why do you think all the big supermarkets have financial arms? :roll:
By cockney steve
@rikur_ said
The bank pay me 3% interest on it - what can they earn with it? I'd be surprised if they get 4% even once they've pooled customer funds. So net they've made 1% of £4k = £40.

What most of us don't realise, is that your deposit is, as I understand it, a "fractional reserve" What this means, is a Bank can lend non-existent money,as a percentage of what deposits they have....Great , isn't it, when you can raise "monopoly-money" and lend it out at double-figure- percentages whilst only paying 2 or 3 percent on a small proportion of the total.

Bankers don't want us laymen to know just what a huge con-trick they're pulling.

Suggest you spend a bit of browsing time learning how the Rothschilds became so rich and how the clearing-banks started in the first place.
Sure, "anyone" can , theoretically join this club, but it's easier to get into the Freemasons.
The saga of "the bank of Dave" (IIRC) tells the trials of a Burnley coach and minibus dealer who has tried to do something positive to redress the situation.
Bankers are W***ers They even shaft their own staff. soon as my local branch closed, the only employee with any customer -focus and integrity, took early retirement.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
@cockney steve
perhaps my post came across the wrong way - I'm not defending the banks - just making the point that I don't think they make any money out of some of us (or at least me)
I'm not saying current accounts are not profitable per se - I'm sure they make money out of them for many people .... but I suspect you reach a time of life when you are no longer likely to take out a mortgage, loan, or big credit card debt that the bank wants .... and you're no longer a sales prospect to keep on a loss leader current account.

That said, as a building society member, I get to see something resembling the accounts, and in 2016 their review of the current account market, concluding:
We do not think .... this area represents long term value for the wider membership which is why we have taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the current account market

Perhaps I'm naive in believing my building society accounts and annual report - but I can't see a motive to pretend this is unprofitable and exit it
By cockney steve
AFAIK, different rules, different margins. What I was getting at, was that banks, on the back of the depositor's money, are allowed to lend "phantom money," which only exists on paper.
I don't entirely understand how the fiddle works, but something along the lines of, every £100 deposited, allows them to "lend" £160....Currently, the APR on an overdraft is well over 15%....work it out for yourself....millions in current accounts,-crocodile tears. Yes, I borrow nothing and try to keep my cash-in-bank around the 1K mark.
By Bill Haddow
cockney steve wrote:AFAIK, different rules, different margins. What I was getting at, was that banks, on the back of the depositor's money, are allowed to lend "phantom money," which only exists on paper.
I don't entirely understand how the fiddle works, but something along the lines of, every £100 deposited, allows them to "lend" £160 ...

AFAIK that is not what fractional reserve means. A bank could only lend a (substantial) fraction of the total of its depositors' funds plus the bank's own money, the amount left was the "fractional reserve", typically 1% - 3% . In any event this is a bit academic for the UK, because the fractional reserve requirement was binned yonks back.

Usual disclaimers :- I am not an economist. I am not regulated by the FCA. You are advised to seek independent professional advice.

Bill H
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
rikur_ wrote:No doubt many of us who consider ourselves 'good customers' of banks, just lose them money.

You've fallen for the 'woe us' bank drivel like so many others.

Your personal account may not amount to much but a couple of million of folks like you means that they sit on a decent amount of money which they can use as leverage for their other activities.

In order to sell their other products they must have a decent size customer base as a percentage of customers will buy them or use overdrafts/credit cards etc.

That for them 'good' current accounts cost them money is nothing more than the spin they put on it.

The reason why they behave like this, i.e. treat people with utter contempt is because they are arrogant and are too big to fail - we have seen the evidence of that over the last 10 years.

It isn't going to change anytime soon.

Long post alert.

I've picked this out for a reply because it strikes me as very representative of the view of the general public. I'd also preface the following comments with an acceptance that banks definitely don't always get things right, they do apply a certain amount of spin to things, and they do not behave at the personal level as most of us would like to be treated.

However, banks and bankers are not the devil incarnate. Those generalisations are no more fair than saying the NHS is hopelessly inefficient, and doctors are greedy and overpaid.

Banking is a highly complex business, and not well understood by the general public. There have been volumes written about bank balance sheet management, and it is as much an art as a science. The issues surrounding capital adequacy and solvency are complicated, and the subject of close regulatory scrutiny. They are also extremely important to the economy at large. The general concept of fractional reserve banking is not inherently evil and one big con trick to make bankers rich. It is a - highly regulated - way in which government works in concert with the financial system to expand the money supply in a controlled manner that enables general economic prosperity for all of us. Without the availability of that expanded funding, and the processes by which it is made available, the overall level of economic activity would be much smaller. We all benefit from banks and banking. If that wasn't true, the government would close them down.

Of course, mistakes are made, and some bankers are highly paid - in some cases deservedly so - but it is nearly always wrong to make extremely broad brush generalisations.

Now, if we strip out investment banking, which is actually the side of the business where the biggest and most highly visible cock ups and accusations of overpaid bankers eminates, the rest can largely be split into retail and corporate banking. Retail banking is managed in a behaviouralised process, and corporate on a mix of more individually managed and behaviouralised manner depending on the size of the customer. The costs of serving customers makes this an inevitability.

As an analogy, I have a large garden with many fruit trees. I care for my grass. I cut it regularly and I want it to thrive. However, I have acres of the stuff, and the notion that I could go round and cut each blade individually is a non starter, so I cut it with a tractor. The fruit trees on the other hand are different. They get a more personal service. The productive trees are loved and cared for, and the less productive ones pruned and managed to help improve them. That doesn't mean the grass doesn't take more time and effort - it does - but it can't get such individual attention because there just isn't enough time.

Banks cut their retail customer grass with a tractor. They might try and segment out a small section for a slightly better service just as many people with large gardens have a small bit of special lawn next to the house that gets more care than the rest of the paddocks, but even that is only a marginal improvement.

Banks spend an absolute fortune on systems to serve retail customers, just as my tractors cost a lot on money to buy and run. There are, without a doubt, individual retail customers that are costing the bank money, as rikur notes, although it is not so simple when you look at things from a marginal cost perspective. However, banks definitely make more money from loans and borrowing on credit cards than they do from a customer who keeps a small balance on a current account which they use to process lots of payments and cash withdrawals. Even with credit cards where income is generated from transactions as well as lending, most accounts that are paid off without paying interest do not make money because they are, in effect a free loan. Such customers do not generate enough income to cover the fully allocated costs of serving them. Indeed, nothing like.

That doesn't mean banks don't want such customers. Liquidity and capital issues mean that banks want a large spread of business, and retail plays a big part in that. Current account deposits are a valuable source of free funds, and even though banks have to take into account the fact that customers could all come in and take all their money out on one single day, in practise that doesn't happen, and banks can count on a certain amount of stable core deposits. Again, the management of this is quite sophisticated.

Anyway, back to Rob's comment that kicked all this off. Is it cheaper to keep a longstanding and loyal customer than it is to market to new ones? Sadly, it doesn't work that way. The bank doesn't, and cannot, treat its retail customers with such personal service. The reality, as others have noted, it that people don't change their bank very often, so retail banking models will take that into account. The days of local branches where the manager would have known Rob personally and would have done all they can to persuade him to stay are long gone. Retail banking is a highly competitive business, and would not be profitable if such personal service were given at the retail level. Unfortunately, the world has moved on, and the long period of low interest rates has been a difficult time generally for retail banking. Banks are a business. Profit isn't a dirty word, and bank managers have responsibilities to shareholders as well as customers.

As a person who worked in banking, I accept and understand this as inevitable. As a bank customer, I share some of the frustration expressed here. However, it is the reality.

And, one final point, although we all hear tales of bankers earning fortunes - that does of course happen - life as a retail banker is not so cosy. It is probably the least well remunerated segment of banking, and many of you wouldn't want to get out of bed for what most of these people earn. Add in the lack of employment security where banks have been closing branches at a prodigious rate, and if any bank employees deserve to be cut a bit of slack it is this segment.
Colonel Panic, rikur_, MikeB liked this
By johnm
I repeat, banks are money retailers, the main difference is that they can conjure their product out of thin air. Their primary interest is therefore selling money, they need to buy a little, but that’s only for the form of the thing, image building for the public’s out of date and deluded view of what a bank is.

As I’ve pointed out before, this is why our c@rp economy is built on people buying imported stuff they don’t need with money they don’t have.

Yes I know we’re the fifth largest economy, but AFAIK big is not a direct synonym for strong.
cockney steve liked this
By Paultheparaglider
johnm wrote:I repeat, banks are money retailers, the main difference is that they can conjure their product out of thin air. Their primary interest is therefore selling money, they need to buy a little, but that’s only for the form of the thing, image building for the public’s out of date and deluded view of what a bank is.

As I’ve pointed out before, this is why our c@rp economy is built on people buying imported stuff they don’t need with money they don’t have.

Yes I know we’re the fifth largest economy, but AFAIK big is not a direct synonym for strong.

Johnm,

Repeating something doesn't make it correct.

It isn't like you to throw out such simplistic nonsense. Even though we differ on the Brexit issue, I agree with you that it is not a simple matter to unwind our relationship with the EU. I also accept that there will be some losses as well as some gains, and that the losses are going to be evidenced before any gains. I'd even go so far as to say that although, on balance, I want to see Brexit happen, I accept that there is no guarantee my personal choice will turn out in the fullness of time to be the overall better one for our country in such an uncertain and complicated world.

Banking is similarly extremely complex. Trying to condense it into a trite sound bite it unworthy of you. Further, a large part of your diatribe above is actually down to political choices made by government who set the framework within which banks operate - not to bank management choices per se.

Paul.
By johnm
I wholly accept that the banking system is a result of government policy, essentially the current system is the result of unscrupulous people exploiting naively written deregulation. That’s what created the 2008 fiasco.

I don’t accept that my somewhat simplistic picture is wrong, though oversimplified for emphasis I certainly do accept.
By Rob P
Excellent post Paul, thank you. I loved the lawn analogy :D

Paultheparaglider wrote:Anyway, back to Rob's comment that kicked all this off. Is it cheaper to keep a longstanding and loyal customer than it is to market to new ones? Sadly, it doesn't work that way. The bank doesn't, and cannot, treat its retail customers with such personal service.

As you will have seen from my second post I was not expecting Captain Mainwaring to rush round my house with flowers and chocolates. Indeed the example letter I composed even featured my name as "Robin", something nobody but Mrs P calls me, but the likeliest way that an automated system would respond.

It is cheaper to retain customers than to recruit them, that is a given.

I know the banks can't treat us as individuals, but as market segments go 'Disgruntled customers planning to leave us' is fast growing, cohesive and very easily addressed.

I was simply ignored, that's what irks.

Rob P
Small blade of grass
By JoeC
Rob P wrote:
It is cheaper to retain customers than to recruit them, that is a given.

Indeed that is 100% correct.

However without the addition of some sort of valuation of what a retained customers provides vs new customers it is not a strategy worth pursuing.

Do agree on the whole letter/follow up thang.