For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Well, it seems that a father's actions being described as 'manful' is now sexist...

Mother’s anger at ‘sexist’ surgeon who praised her ‘manful’ husband

A ‘sexist’ surgeon has been slammed by a mum after he wrote in a letter that her husband had ‘manfully stepped in’ when she was unwell.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/15/mothers-a ... d-7080832/

I have to say that my immediate reaction was that any husband who would support his wife making such a complaint is anything but 'manful'....

Oh yes, and they are Millennials :roll:
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It might not be language I would use myself in the circumstances - not just as it is not particularly PC but also not particularly special for a dad to take his kid to the doctor's, but really to be 'offended' by it suggests a particularly narrow band of tolerance on the part of the complainer.
Spooky liked this
Being offended has become a national pass time, to the point where indulging in a bit of innocent banter is becoming a thing of the past. Perhaps if the press would just ignore these idiots they would go and find something better to do to pass their time. I imagine that the NHS trust involved will now wasting time and money holding an investigation and issuing guidelines.
johnm, Nick, Katamarino liked this
By Irv Lee
Korenwolf wrote:A ‘sexist’ surgeon has been slammed by a mum after he wrote in a letter that her husband had ‘manfully stepped in’ when she was unwell.

why are you using 'her' and 'she' in that sentence? - presumably you are assuming the mother is not a man (at the time of writing, obviously...) :roll:
seanxair liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
A man being manful seems perfectly acceptable to me as is a man being womanful, a boy being girlful etc.
Is the complainant saying the man was being other than manful? The expression exists to describe behaviour.
Perhaps he frotted her leg and was actually being dogful.
Or he allowed himself to be walked all over and was floorful.
johnm wrote:Apparently millenials are no longer taught English :-(

Including how to spell ' millennial' ? :)

I have two stepgranddaughters at primary school in Australia. I have recently heard that the school, which used to give lessons to all classes in French and Mandarin in alternate years, are now giving Mandarin only. The related secondary then offers also French, Spanish, German and Japanese to all classes .. :thumright:
johnm liked this
kanga wrote:
johnm wrote:Apparently millenials are no longer taught English :-(

Including how to spell ' millennial' ? :)

I have two stepgranddaughters at primary school in Australia. I have recently heard that the school, which used to give lessons to all classes in French and Mandarin in alternate years, are now giving Mandarin only. The related secondary then offers also French, Spanish, German and Japanese to all classes .. :thumright:

That limits the number of teachers who can work in those schools then. Like the insistence in many Welsh schools on teachers being able to speak Welsh. "Sorry, you might be a Master Teacher in Computer Science but you can't work here unless you learn to do it in Welsh/Mandarin/French/Swahili". I'm a huge fan of multilinguality, but not at the expense of other important subjects. :thumright:
Lindsayp wrote:"Sorry, you might be a Master Teacher in Computer Science but you can't work here unless you learn to do it in Welsh/Mandarin/French/Swahili". I'm a huge fan of multilinguality, but not at the expense of other important subjects. :thumright:

Unfortunately that is what happens when you let the PC Brigade and do gooders infiltrate any organisation, the main purpose and aims get sidelined in order to fulfill promote their agenda and vision of how things should be in their perfect utopian world.
Nick, Katamarino liked this