For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I own an old classic motorcycle...its insurance renew time...the company I insured with till Nov 4th this year sent me an email hiking there price as they all do.

So I shopped around and found a far better price...asked them is they could match...no sir.

Ok I dont want to continue...no probs do you want me to sent you proof of NCD...yes please I say...it was only for one year...I need to contact the previous company for the second year I have....now I dont think I ever said to them...I am not staying with you...I prob just started with a new company....thinking once the insurance runs out thats it.

Rang them today....seems they have auto renewed my policy 4th Nov this year and Nov 4th last year...2 years I didn't give them the ok...nor did they ask or contact me to see if I wanted to continue with them....so at present I have 2 policy's running...as I did last year but had no idea.

1 can they auto renew without my permission.
2 how can I get a refund...they want £60 to cancel...my new cover cost me £66.
Was that with Bennetts, Nick? They did the same to me earlier this year, and told me it is a condition down in the small print somewhere. Plus they hoiked the premium some 40%. Fortunately, in my case I called in the morning and the policy was due to start at noon. They had apparently charged my card a few days earlier even though I had given them no such ongoing authority to my knowledge.

I hit the roof and told them in no uncertain terms that I took that as very sharp practice. They agreed to refund, and I told them I wouldn't use Bennetts again.

They told me they were doing it as a helpful customer service as they had conducted research that showed this was helpful to the majority of their customers. My reply would probably get me banned from here if I put it in type.

If I were you, I'd complain to the FCA, and send in a letter to MCN. Plus follow Mike's advice to take it up with the credit card company.
No not Bennets Paul...it was Devitt which as far as I know is part of the Post Office.

I get the feeling this practice is wide spread...god know how many unsuspecting people are being shafted with the day light robbery.

It was pure chance I discovered it.

My wife is the banker in our house and I leave all that side of things to her...I have asked her several times if she checks bank statements for unknown payments....of course I do dear.

I wonder how many years they would have carried on fleecing me in this way.

I wont let it rest Paul.
Paultheparaglider liked this
Being a fan of "moneysaving expert" I checked all the comparison sites, then the ones not on the comparison sites...(apart from one, who's website was so horrendous, I did a rapid exit.
Oddly, Esure came out on top. I have twice called on them for multicar. Just added a T-reg. BMW 5-series estate, for £185, full Comp (not that I'll ever make a claim for it!) call-centre helpful, declined for them to hold debit-card details or spam for other products. Son included, and for commuting, no extra charge....to the penny, the premium was the same as the 2-litre Volvo estate I use as a "main" car.....Another "coincidence"- the top 2 quotes on all the comparison sites were the same companies and to within a pound, around the £220 mark
Esure also send paper, saving me the cost/effort of printing-out....no extra charge and a good refund when I sold the last car on "multicar" cover with them