For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:can't quite believe this is a thread of tea totalers. :lol:

There was a time when a meal out with forum regulars would nearly bankrupt me due to the extent of the drinks bill! And I was usually driving so I'd only have one! :D

At one such bash, someone then decided that there should be separate amounts paid by drinkers and non drinkers, and having one pint I was deemed to be a non-drinker...
By Bill Haddow
Miscellaneous wrote:I'm surprised at the extent of the feeling, yet can't quite believe this is a thread of tea totalers. :lol:

We're not all TT, but we're not a representative Xsection of society either; we're better educated and probably better off than the average man in the street.

Most of us are distressed by the harms (health, social, financial) resulting from the misuse of alcohol but we may differ in our views of how best to tackle the problems.

Bill H
By PaulB
rf3flyer wrote:The medical profession, I believe, already do this ... because they have to.

Sort of.... despite all the money coming from the coffers of the department of health, how treatments are paid for and who by is really complex. It involves far more than the doctor who sees you, who in reality will be constrained by guidelines which are based on best clinical evidence and also health economics.

Google “clinical commissioning”
By Miscellaneous
Can't disagree with much you say there Bill, but there's just a hint of 'holier than thou' on this thread. Not in a serious way, more akin to how everyone believes accusations of bad driving don't belong at their door. :wink:

For reference; I'm partial to quality ale or a dram or two of malt. :cheers:
By Rob P
Where will the tax take come from in a Britain with drastically diminishing drinking and smoking and electric cars eating into road fuel use?

Rob P
By PaulB
The £350m a week that we’re not going to be paying to the EU (or so we’re led to believe.)
By Bill Haddow
Rob P wrote:Where will the tax take come from in a Britain with drastically diminishing drinking and smoking and electric cars eating into road fuel use?

Rob P

Don't worry, they will think of something new. Swingeing tax on internet access / usage ?

Or an old tax regurgitated like a tax on financial transactions ? (Remember the 2d postage stamp stuck to receipts and bank withdrawal slips, and printed on your cheques so that the 30 cheque cheque-book cost you 5 bob ?)

Increase the taxes that people forget about (though they do hit most people in the pocket) like Employer's NI, landfill tax (currently £86.10 per tonne)

Stealth taxes where you effectively pay for something that used to be paid for by the government - like lottery funding being used instead of government grants.

And I haven't even put my thinking cap on yet !

Bill H
By Paul_Sengupta
JoeC wrote:make all companies pay the full corporation tax rate on rate on profits made in in the UK.

This might be achievable and will probably happen after Brexit.
By Dave W
It couldn't happen before Brexit because it is an intended feature of the common market that such taxes are paid only in one country of the EU - the State of registration.

People continually moan about this, yet it is the EU operating as designed. The companies are obeying the law.
By Dave W
Yes; they obey the law.

Now, it may be the law is too complex and open to interpretation - most would agree with that, I think - but the point is that any complaints therefore need addressing to the lawmakers, not the companies.