For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill Haddow wrote:
PaulB wrote:Oh, do stop being an ****!

I thought you would descend to ad hominem

Have you never, ever used the words 'full of' to describe 'lots of' rather than actually and literally full.

When Paul said 'full of', he meant 'a great number of' - I think you're being deliberately difficult!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
There is a big difference between a couple of drinks (I do mean one or two) to reduce social inhibitions, help with the chat and help people relax compared with long term or binge drinking to the point of not being in control of your actions and damaging your body. I'm sure I read somewhere that reactions actually improve after one drink (with regards driving).

These changes will hit those people who pre-load with cheap alcohol before going near any venues (bar, club etc) and will hit those who are alcohol dependant. It isn't going to (at least initially) effect social drinkers. I guess that makes it politically easier.

Scotland has major issues with alcohol. 26% of people are drinking more than the defined harmful level of 14 Units / week. 54% of violent crime and 66% of offences by "young offenders" are committed after consuming alcohol. There are 35,000 alcohol related hospital stays, 91000 GP consultations, per year. Overall cost to society of alcohol in Scotland is around £3.6 billion [ref].
Things do need done - but really it is an attitude shift that needs to happen. The question is - how to affect that attitude shift. Other countries don't have binge drinking issues (certainly to the same extent) so why do we?
By Miscellaneous
IMO it is not the quantity of alcohol consumed that it is at the crux of the problem, yes there are those that have had one too many that end up causing trouble, but generally they are not drinking the cheapest they can find. The problem with those who do drink whatever is the cheapest for the sole purpose of becoming inebriated is a much deeper social issue than drinking, it's their mindset and what gives them that mindset.
By Nick
Paultheparaglider wrote:I drink tea every day.

I'm not a teetotaller.

PS I totally abstain from golf. Now, that really should be demonized :wink:

Unless the golf courses have a landing strip. :thumright:

Nick
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Korenwolf
Well, having just had my usual Saturday evening tipple of a 750ml bottle of Leffe (6.6%, five units) I note that it would have to be minimum priced at £2.50, which would be a saving!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /253488046

Mind you, last time I bought it was in Waitrose at £2.37 :wink:

However, not to make light of the situation, it's plainly ridiculous that a bottle of high-strength cider is on sale at £3.99 when it contains almost one and a half times the weekly recommended limit for men, which is of course the root of the problem. It's said that the British unhealthy attitude to alcohol stems from 'drinking-up time' when customers were almost encouraged to get another one in before 11pm, which of course stemmed from the munitions workers in the Great War spending all of their dosh in the pubs, leading to licensing hours being enshrined in law. One of my favourite holiday destinations is West Flanders, where beer is literally cheaper than water. You don't see people falling over in the street, it's the culture that is different.

Some positive news in England is a trend that some people are now getting more 'grown up' in their habits, eschewing Fosters and Carling for craft beers which by their very nature, are better-tasting and more expensive. They naturally encourage less bingeing and more civilised drinking.

Oh yes, and my handle, 'Korenwolf' is a nod to the Dutch brewing industry and the wild hamsters that inhabit the grain fields where the ingredients for the beer of the same name is harvested....
By Miscellaneous
Korenwolf wrote:However, not to make light of the situation, it's plainly ridiculous that a bottle of high-strength cider is on sale at £3.99 when it contains almost one and a half times the weekly recommended limit for men, which is of course the root of the problem.

I confess it is not plain to me why it is ridiculous, unless of course you are suggesting all prices should be set by legislation?

Korenwolf wrote:It's said that the British unhealthy attitude to alcohol stems from 'drinking-up time' when customers were almost encouraged to get another one in before 11pm, which of course stemmed from the munitions workers in the Great War spending all of their dosh in the pubs, leading to licensing hours being enshrined in law.

I'm not sure I buy that?

I quite clearly remember closing time being changed to 11pm and at that time they were quite busy. However, my experience of pubs today is that there are very few could survive on selling alcohol alone. Most are very quiet well before 11pm with the diners having been and gone. The pub culture has changed.

I don't think there will be a huge overlap in those buying £2.99 cider and those frequently pubs. May I suggest you are misunderstanding the problem? Licensing hours are not associated with the problem minimum pricing is attempting to address.

Wiki wrote:After the outbreak of World War I the Defence of the Realm Act was passed by Parliament in 1914. One section of the Act concerned the hours pubs could sell alcohol, as it was believed that alcohol consumption would interfere with the war effort.[2] It restricted opening hours for licensed premises to luncheon (12:00 to 14:40) and supper (18:30 to 21:30). In the late 1980s the licensing laws in England and Wales became less restricted and allowed pubs to allow the consumption of alcohol on the premises from 11:00 until 23:00,[2]
By Bill McCarthy
Can there be a connection, allowing minors into drinking establishments and underage drinking / bingeing ? Alcohol didn't pass my lips until I joined the mob in '61 and in those days under 18s were barred from pubs - even the windows had frosted glass up to a certain level to prevent them seeing in.
By PeteSpencer
Bill McCarthy wrote:Can there be a connection, allowing minors into drinking establishments and underage drinking / bingeing ? Alcohol didn't pass my lips until I joined the mob in '61 and in those days under 18s were barred from pubs - even the windows had frosted glass up to a certain level to prevent them seeing in.

I remember those pubs: Serving wenches with massive jugs-in both senses of the word-sawdust and chunder on the floor and an all-pervading smell of fag smoke and pi $$.

Them was the days, eh Bill?

Peter :wink: