For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
HowardC wrote:...
It made me wonder whether it was a jobsworth or whether our Border Force/Police were entitled to ask such questions. We’ve nothing to hide and answered truthfully but it left us both feeling quite uncomfortable.

We both were born in the UK and have British passports which entitle us to freedom of movement across Europe. I really cannot see why I must explain on departure why I’m traveling and exactly where I propose going. Are there any forum folk who can shed light on why or whether “they” can do this?

It has happened to me. First time was in the late 90s. It can be a little un-nerving first time and I was doing nothing wrong and had nothing to hide.

They are not being jobsworths, they are just doing their job or maybe doing training.
People voted for more control of our borders. There are 2 options.... give everyone a stop and questioning, or do a sample of the people with that old problem of who to pick.

Remember criminals, smugglers and terrorists can be British born and/or have British passports (real/fake), and can look like ordinary people. Freedom of movement has nothing to do with it. They might have picked you at random, or on gut instinct or for a variety of other reasons that they are not going to tell you. It is all about policing our borders.

Someone else commented how laid back the French customs are in comparison. I can assure you that is not always the case.

Oh and how long they take is up to them... if you dig your heels in and give them attitude you are not helping the situation.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
We travelled through Dover the day after the 'Chiswick' bomber had been caught there, so every vehicle was being checked and the police were on hand.
If we want to have a safe country does it really matter if we are asked questions to validate who we are.
I am sure most of the Border Force people would much prefer to stay in their 'hut' drinking tea/coffee.
malcolmfrost wrote:In my case, as a single male in a large, empty estate car I probably ticked a lot of profile boxes, I was asked by the BF guy, then had the car searched.....

I recall being stopped about 10 years ago with (now Ex) wife & kids. We were driving a Black SUV, and EVERY car that was stopped and searched was a Black SUV with couples/kids in it....anybody would think they were looking for someone specific... :whistle:

We understood, but... Do you know the inginuity and time it takes to get everything you need packed into a car for a 2 week holiday with 2x toddlers? We were there over an hour by the time they had finished rummaging and we had packed everything back in. I sure hope they found who they were looking for.

Regards, SD..
Waveflyer liked this
Years I got pulled on the French side, by the French customs people. My brother had filled the boot with a vast quantity of cigarettes, all of which was of no interest to them. What was of massive interest was my 'half mill' Nord-Ouest France VFR chart, still in its waterproof clear A3 lap case, still in the car following a recent microlight flight to Blois.

The chart nearly resulted in rubber gloves! My saving grace was photos of the trip on my phone.
HowardC wrote:The French customs post are quite quite laid back and are usually satisfied with my "Bonjour mesieur" and wave me through with never a glimpse at my passport. :)

Not surprising really. If you are arriving from the UK, then the gold-plating Brits have already done their job for them while if you are leaving France then as Malcolm Tucker would say NoMFuP

Bill H
Agreed Bill H, it certainly is NoMFuP for the French checks on most trips. There have been other times when they have been at maximum vigilance. Just after the Bataclan and Nice attacks spring to mind which is totally understandable.

Thanks everyone for the interesting comments.
I've learned that, "Yes, they can" applies to pretty much any form of BF questioning.
I've also learned not to have any aviation charts on show and to answer Calais and Leisure to their questions of "where" and "why". :lol:
johnm liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:I certainly do, we used to have a fully loaded trailer and roofbox, and 2 bikes on the back!!

Just continuing the thread drift, I see your trailer, roof box and bikes, and I raise you - large estate car, roof box that can only be accessed when the kayaks are removed from the roof, extended height trailer AND a roof box on the trailer!

Then we had a blowout on the M5, and had to get to the spare wheel :-(
As a seasoned cross Channel traveller, none of this is bad news. It's still much less hassle than commercial air travel, in my view.

A few years ago, we had reason to bring back from Foreign a strut; it was wrapped in many layers of bubble wrap and 'stowed' along the floor of the motorhome. We were stopped, as expected. The lockers, loo and underbed storage were checked, all of which involved stepping over it. You couldn't have got a person in it, but you couldn't get a person in the lockers, either. AFAIK.

Hidden in plain sight must apply to many dodgy operations.
Flyin'Dutch', HowardC liked this
Arriving at Thruxton one day I was approached by BF and asked if I had come from abroad. Obviously my supper sharp wit immediately lead me to reply "yes". (well we had come from Sandown) Aparently my instructor, a serving Police officer, was less than amused by my ready wit.
Years ago I did some consultancy work for a small painting contractor. We helped get him into The building of Euro Disney and within a couple of months he had approx 50 people working there.

As was often the case back then, his people were paid in cash. The owner was now driving to France each week with 50 pay packets, all full of cash, some sterling, some Francs.

Being a frequent traveller on the tunnel crossing his little van started to get pulled more.

Then one Friday he arrived at the barrier in his brand new 7 series BMW.

They stripped every single panel from it and he was held for 7 hours whilst they did it. The poor Car was never the same.
bar shaker wrote:Then one Friday he arrived at the barrier in his brand new 7 series BMW.
They stripped every single panel from it and he was held for 7 hours whilst they did it. The poor Car was never the same.

I would be very interested to know what your rights are when something like this happens. I would be even more interested to know what rights you have in an aeroplane, because of the safety aspect of someone unqualified to do so taking an aeroplane apart..