For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Can “they” do this?...........

I’ve been used to handing my wife’s passport with mine over to someone from Eurotunnel to check against the API that I had previously filled in. There’s never been any questions asked other than the usual “any pets, LPG, firearms etc on board?” It’s been like that for years.

On Thursday last week every vehicle driver had to hand over all passports to a uniformed officer who was either Border Force or Police. I had to answer what the purpose of my journey was and then where exactly where we were going. I’ve never been asked this before at any time on any departure from UK by car.

It made me wonder whether it was a jobsworth or whether our Border Force/Police were entitled to ask such questions. We’ve nothing to hide and answered truthfully but it left us both feeling quite uncomfortable.

We both were born in the UK and have British passports which entitle us to freedom of movement across Europe. I really cannot see why I must explain on departure why I’m traveling and exactly where I propose going. Are there any forum folk who can shed light on why or whether “they” can do this?
map5623 wrote:Perhaps the Border Force have actually moved into their proper role?

Well they certainly have upped the ante in E Anglia: As part of ongoing Operation Pegasus we've just had a B F questionnaire asking for full details of all a/c kept at our strip along with owners details, numbers of flights made and whether any are 'foreign' flights.

They haven't asked for details of visitors yet but I guess that will come.
But: All perfectly reasonable, I'd say.

Peter
kanga, Bobcro liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have faced this occasionally and I always do the same thing.

Purpose of Journey? Answer Leisure.

Origin or destination? Answer Calais.

Where else I've been or intend to go and whether I undertake any commercial transactions on my travels is none of their business.
HowardC, Spooky liked this
Fairly comprehensive FOI response from 2015 here

b) on what legal basis can officers of UK Border Control ask me questions about the
nature of any travel I have undertaken entirely within the European Union?

b) Assuming that you are an EEA national, Border Force officers can ask you any
questions that allow them to establish your identity and nationality. This may include
questions about your travel history. The EEA Regulations 2006 specify that an EEA
national must produce a valid passport or identity card to establish their nationality and
identity however if does not specify how the Border officer should establish the validity of
these travel documents. Questioning EEA passengers is one of the ways that Border
Force officers can quickly verify if a document is likely to be valid.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/252614/response/621493/attach/html/3/33431%20Richardson.pdf.html
The FOI response (JoeC) refers to inbound / arrival in UK. I'm assuming therefore that a similar response would happen if specifically asked when leaving.
When returning to UK, I've been questioned about travel and so on for many years ... all pretty normal these days.
This questioning was on leaving UK and I was a bit surprised as it had never occurred before. He seemed a little overly officious and that's the bit that got me thinking.
As TKF wrote, there's no sleep lost but interested in knowing more.

The French customs post are quite quite laid back and are usually satisfied with my "Bonjour mesieur" and wave me through with never a glimpse at my passport. :)
Re: "..... I dig my heals in."
I know the feeling ...... My wife was closest to the border force window on the way back and, as often happens, we were asked where we had been, "We've been to France" was her reply with a smile. I thought it sensible to take up the thread and quickly told him we'd been to Saint Omer. It all seemed to peeve him and so we got the next bit, "Tell me why were you there?"
"To celebrate her birthday, which no doubt you can verify as you're holding her passport" my turn to smile. :)
I guess that's the extent of our own version of "I dig my heals in." Any more would no doubt be pushing our luck and end in us being invited into the bay where cars are emptied of goods and searched.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
romille wrote: every so often you meet one that is overly officious and that is when as a law abiding citizen I dig my heals in.

And what is the result?

It takes a little longer to be processed but I am not usually in any great hurry and to date I have never been detained or locked up.
HowardC wrote: and end in us being invited into the bay where cars are emptied of goods and searched.

Been there.

The nice lady pointed to the back and asked me to open the boot. I agonised for long seconds whether to just comply. But in the end common sense prevailed and I suggested it was better I didn't.

She looked a bit taken aback and I feared she'd go looking for the latex gloves.

Then she remembered where Dr Ferdinand had put the flat six.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', johnm, skydriller and 5 others liked this