For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^ :lol: They were very quick to do testing and phone me back with suggestions.....line was BT at that time (dearer and pooper* version of Plusnet, yet the same company, effectively!

*Freudian finger-slip, meant "poorer."
With nothing to lose, and noting that 2 of the flickery LED's on the Router, weren't, I prised open the case and found a couple of dead electrolytic capacitors....It spent another few years with the lid propped up by oversize Caps. -Kept it cool, though. :pirat:
By Paul_Sengupta
That surprises me, I thought BT's stock answer was to send out a new router. My (now late) friend Malcolm had about 3 new ones. The conversation would go something like this:

Malcolm: There's something wrong with the line.
BT: The line tests fine. It's probably the router. We'll send you another one.

After a few iterations of this, they finally got round to fixing the line.

He ended up with a drawer full of BT ADSL routers.
By fov
If it was installed with an OR modem that is a demarcation point.
TBH if you have that you are one of the lucky ones. Anything from that back is an OR issue. With a wires only install its much easier to end up with arguments about where the issue lies. Dont remove it for an all in one!

For routing I have Mikrotik routers. At the risk of sounding a bit of a snob, these are not for the like of people who dont know a fair amount about routing. They are interesting to configure even if you are very comfortable with the likes of Cisco or Juniper. Once they are set up they are fantastic and will sit routing FTTC traffic all day for weeks on end with no issue. So its a strong recommendation with an equally strong caveat.

For wifi I use actual APs. (Ubiquiti Unifi UAP AC LITE). Now these are fantastic. Very easy to set up and just work. For £80 these are simply worth it to make all your wifi issues go away.
By rikur_
fov wrote:If it was installed with an OR modem that is a demarcation point.
TBH if you have that you are one of the lucky ones. Anything from that back is an OR issue. With a wires only install its much easier to end up with arguments about where the issue lies. Dont remove it for an all in one!

Are you sure that's still the case? One of our flyers recently had the OR modem fail, and OR referred him back to his ISP for them to sell him a replacement all in one, as apparently OR no longer supply replacement modems. (Even though I suspect the cause of the fault was G.INP being enabled on the cabinet, and the OR ECI modem failing to support it).
By fov
rikur_ wrote:
fov wrote:If it was installed with an OR modem that is a demarcation point.

Are you sure that's still the case? One of our flyers recently had the OR modem fail, and OR referred him back to his ISP for them to sell him a replacement all in one, as apparently OR no longer supply replacement modems. (Even though I suspect the cause of the fault was G.INP being enabled on the cabinet, and the OR ECI modem failing to support it).

Its certainly no longer clear cut. OR will no longer install them new. They will maintain them though.
But I equally wouldnt be surprised to find they push back or even refuse until pushed very hard.
Obviously I cant speak for all ISPs but they certainly still are contracted to ours, I wont look forward to one failing though.
By matthew_w100
fov wrote:Once they are set up they are fantastic and will sit routing FTTC traffic all day for weeks on end with no issue.

Weeks?? My Cisco had an uptime identical to that of my mains electricity. Two and a half years when I swapped it for the Fritz!Box last weekend.

fov wrote:For wifi I use actual APs. (Ubiquiti Unifi UAP AC LITE). Now these are fantastic. Very easy to set up and just work. For £80 these are simply worth it to make all your wifi issues go away.

I have to use an Apple AirPort. Nothing else will drive the wife's MacBook Air for longer than about 15mins
By fov
Indeed never rebooted as its crashed, only power issues. By "weeks on end" i mean basically until you do something like unplug it or move it.
Line 1 here:
[fov@MikroTik] > /system resource print
uptime: 66w15h30m51s

And UBNT any day over airport, even for Apple IMO.