For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
.. announced at CheltLitFest. Any Forumite eager to emulate Johns or Gann for a new generation ? :)

[and, no, e-mail I received does not give any useful further link about submissions]:

"Cheltenham First Novel Prize launched @cheltlitfest

Following a sell out event on How to Get Your Novel Published, Cheltenham Festivals and LBA Literary Agency are delighted to be working in association with The Borough Press to launch the inaugural Cheltenham First Novel Competition at The Times and The Sunday Times Cheltenham Literature Festival on Sunday 15 October.

Entrants will be invited to submit the first three chapters of their literary or literary-commercial novel, or the first 15,000 words. Closing date for entries is midnight on 5 January 2018.

The winner of the competition will be selected by judges from HarperCollins, LBA and Cheltenham Festivals based on their work’s quality and commercial potential.

The winner will receive a £10,000 advance and publishing contract with The Borough Press, and representation by Luigi Bonomi at LBA. "
Pete L wrote:
It was a dark and stormy night...

Great start. Me next:

'...The engine droned endlessly, as it had for the last three hours. With a sigh of boredom, I glanced at the instruments and gasped in disbelief. There was nothing on the clock but the maker's name. Suddenly...

Only 14,956 to go...
Pete L liked this
It was a dark and stormy night, and the crew sat huddled in the fo'csl. One of the sailors said, "Bosun, tell us a story". And the bosun said, "It was a dark and stormy night , and the crew sat huddled in the fo'csl. One of the sailors said, 'Bosun, tell us a story', and the bosun said 'it was a dark and stormy night , and the crew sat huddled in the fo'csl. One of the sailors said, "Bosun, tell us a story", and the bosun ...

OK, Ok, OK, I am off down the pub

Bill H
Pete L, Dave W, flybymike liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bert Presley wrote:
Pete L wrote:
It was a dark and stormy night...

Great start. Me next:

'...The engine droned endlessly, as it had for the last three hours. With a sigh of boredom, I glanced at the instruments and gasped in disbelief. There was nothing on the clock but the maker's name. Suddenly...

...there was a knocking on the fuselage, a strange and rhythmic sound...
kanga, Dave W liked this
...there was a knocking on the fuselage, a strange and rhythmic sound...[/quote]

Then suddenly , the withered faces of three toothless hags appeared to reflect in the cockpit side window and wailing laughter could be heard , first in the background , then becoming louder .
1st voice ; When shall we three meet again , in thunder , lightning or rain.
2nd voice; When the hurly-burly's done , when 'tis neither Cat. 3 , 2 nor 1.....

Sorry : Shakespeare meets aviation ?,,,,,,,Never gonna work is it !

[Won't be giving up my day job.. :lol: ]
kanga, Bert Presley liked this
Paultheparaglider wrote:3rd voice: As we are talking EASA, that won't be ere the set of sun.

Paul , I'm very impressed how you wove that one in there mate.. :D

But I'm under the distinct impression that there are probably more than enough aspirant novelists within EASA who already aspire to Anton Chekhov's level.

They took the U.K.'s already excellent system of pilot licensing and engineer licensing and turned it into War & Peace.. :evil:

[Apologies to Kanga for the potential thread drift] :oops:
kanga liked this