For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:I'm just west of Woking. We get London Live on 8 and the programme guide shows That's Surrey on 7, so will I need to do the same?

*Shrug* I don't know how well your existing aerial receives the Guildford transmitter. From west of Woking to Crystal Palace, Guildford would be on a side lobe of the beam and also in the wrong polarisation.

chevvron wrote:If so I won't bother as my aerial points at the Palace. Mind you I must admit I've always wondered if I'm missing out as the Guildford relay is a lot closer than the Palace.

Guildford is mostly a relay of London. Too many Londoners living down here! ;-) As such, Guildford does all the London regional variations rather than "south". You may miss out on "That's Surrey"...I haven't seen it but I wouldn't lose sleep about not being able to receive that channel! :D

chevvron wrote:I also get the BBC Mpx from Hannington.

You should be able to get "That's Hampshire" as well then! I haven't particularly tried but I live on the wrong side of a ridge to get Hannington, with higher houses in the way. The Hannington channels will probably appear somewhere up in the upper channel numbers. Hannington does "south".

It's funny that my friends on transmitters south of the Guildford ridge get relayed "south" but those of us on the Guildford transmitter itself get London. A friend in Wonersh complains about receiving London, as Wonersh is a relay off Guildford. He prefers to get south.

This is the London region:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/52478/london_v2.2.pdf

This is the South region:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/56195/meridian_v2.2.pdf
By JonathanB
Moving from Woking to East Hampshire, we've also moved from London telly to South - some of the local news is really quite funny (much less serious and professional) as are some of the more local adverts!
By Paul_Sengupta
Right, I've just checked my HD receiver which I retuned yesterday, and I get "That's Surrey" on channel 821, the "extras" section where it puts channels which clash with the main channels, the main channels coming from Crystal Palace for me (A few years ago I pointed my aerial at Crystal Palace as Guildford didn't originally transmit HD).

I get enough signal from Guildford to get a reasonable picture with just a little bit of breaking up, but I have an omnidirectional VHF antenna on the same bit of coax coming down from the loft.
By rikur_
JonathanB wrote:Moving from Woking to East Hampshire, we've also moved from London telly to South - some of the local news is really quite funny (much less serious and professional) as are some of the more local adverts!

Used to have similar when we lived in Surrey ... living room tv got London TV and bedroom got south coast .... you'd go from a murder in Croydon to 'earlier today a chicken ran amock at tumbleweed market' by walking upstairs
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By chevvron
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
It's funny that my friends on transmitters south of the Guildford ridge get relayed "south" but those of us on the Guildford transmitter itself get London. A friend in Wonersh complains about receiving London, as Wonersh is a relay off Guildford. He prefers to get south.

Years ago I lived about half a mile south of the Bagshot Mast on the Camberley side of the ridge and I could only get Hannington, but I moved from there to Frimley ie south west and found I could only get Crystal Palace!
By KingJames
chevvron wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:three years ago the Govt and Ofcom encouraged private ventures to set up local TV channels and some licences to transmit were issued accordingly. A few directly to Thats TV

In this area we already get a London only channel on Freeview 8 which is so I'm told, only broadcast from Crystal Palace so most of you won't have it.

Assuming that is London Live they have some great old school movies on there. Who Dares Wins was on the other month for example.
By chevvron
I don't suppose anyone else experienced it but from about 2 am to 6am today, many Freeview channels couldn't be viewed in our area (a message saying 'No Signal' being displayed) thus we missed large parts of Chicago PD on both Ch 21 and Ch 56 and missed 'The Big Valley' on Ch 81 completely.
I assume high atmospheric pressure is to blame but alternatively could it be that there is a reduction in power output from the Crystal Palace transmitter at this time of day as they assume few people are watching?
By JonathanB
We’re using Hannington and it’s been rubbish since yesterday evening. The signal herein Liphook is weak anyway and so we have a mast top booster which is normally fine but not at the mo. Would help if iplayer on the tv worked properly and if we could get fibre broadband... Might have to get an Amazon Fire tv stick!
By chevvron
JonathanB wrote:We’re using Hannington and it’s been rubbish since yesterday evening. The signal herein Liphook is weak anyway and so we have a mast top booster which is normally fine but not at the mo. Would help if iplayer on the tv worked properly and if we could get fibre broadband... Might have to get an Amazon Fire tv stick!

On your salary I'm sure you could afford that! :twisted:
PS We've got a masthead booster too.
Last edited by chevvron on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
JonathanB wrote:The signal here in Liphook is weak anyway

Liphook really does seem to be in a bit of a coverage blackspot. You must be down in a bowl. You're on the fringes of Hannington, you're in a hole in Midhurst's coverage, and Haslemere doesn't quite get to you!

May I suggest putting up a satellite dish! :D
By JonathanB
Yup, pondering that... probably need to get a man in (again!) and the new telly doesn’t have a freesat tuner (old telly in bedroom does) so a box will be required! Grrr!
By chevvron
Mr Bags wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41836518

Just noticed on the BBC that high pressure has caused Freeview reception problems over the past couple of days - this would explain why some of my channels have been a bit odd recently!

As I suspected at #1568488 and JonathanB concurred at 1568493 :D
I'm sort of glad about that as I was beginning to suspect it might be my masthead booster on its way out; I haven't switched it off for more than a few seconds (to change sockets) since it was installed about 15 years ago. I suppose it might be worth getting a new one anyway; do they wear out?
By chevvron
Nice surprise over the weekend.
Did a channel scan on my SD telly in response to an instruction on my HD telly and found they are now transmitting Ch 81, Talking Pictures, from Crystal Palace for SD tuners, previously was HD tuners only; may not be available from other transmitters.