For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
I have had two Humax boxes for many years now. I can't recall the exact model, but they have been very reliable. I've had to switch them on and off a couple of times over those years to reboot them, but that is it. Even then, it didn't lose stored programmes.

The user interface is simple, and it updates new channels automatically.
By davey
Thanks it is the Humax box I'm looking at, we got rid of Sky so plan to use their dish for Tv upstairs.
By Miscellaneous
I'll second the recommendation for the Humax Freesat box. I've had the Foxsat HDR model for years which has operated trouble free. Compared to the previous 3 Sky HD boxes that continually froze, it's been a dream.

Due to only having one (TV) satellite feed in to the lounge (and not wanting any more holes in the wall) I am about to buy a Humax HDR-1100S 500 GB for a little more functionality. I've found 500GB to be more than ample for my viewing/recording habits. It rarely gets above 30%.

Of course if you already have a Sky box you can use it to get 'Freesat".
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We've stayed with sky and when house was built had double cabling put in to all rooms so with simple 'magic eye' we can get Sky off the lounge box anywhere in the house . A bit restrictive but can take a Sky program we're watching into the kitchen or guests can finish off a film started in the lounge when they go to bed.

Still have multiroom in main bedroom though. :wink:

Peter
By Miscellaneous
To be able to record one channel whilst watching another will still need two cables back to the dish though.

Not sure that's strictly true , I seem to be able to watch one and record one depending on the channels. I've never really understood why.

That aside the flexibility of being able to go back 7 days to catch up makes recording a little less important.
By Miscellaneous
Help, help you say! :wall: :lol: It's the thought that counts, Paul, thank you. :D

(I'll have a read later tonight :wink: )

Edit; that did help Paul, though so far I've been unable to establish which channels share a transponder to make use of my new knowledge.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ok, it's like this. Firstly the number of tuners in the receiver. Secondly, the polarisation and 22kHz switching.

I'll deal with the polarisation first. The LNB fixed to your dish has two antennas in it, one with horizontal and the other with vertical polarisation. Alternate frequencies on the satellite tend to alternate in polarisation providing natural interference suppression between frequencies. The switching between horizontal and vertical is done by the voltage supplied to the LNB. So if you have one coax supplying one voltage, you can only then at the same time receive the channels which use the same polarisation (approx half of them).

On top of this, the satellite band is divided into two "bands", high and low. The band to be downconverted is switched using a 22kHz tone. If you have one coax, you'll only be able to receive the channels in the same band, either the lower frequencies or the higher ones.

Each frequency will be a "transponder". This can broadcast a number of channels depending on the bandwidth used for each (in the bit rate sense of the word).

If you only have one tuner, you can only tune into one frequency at a time. You may, if the receiver will allow it, be able to receive two channels on the same transponder, recording one and watching the other, but that's very restrictive as unless it's within the same group of 2, 4, 6, 8, whatever channels, then you're out of luck. If you have dual tuners, you will be able to tune into two transponders at the same time.

So two tuners, one coax, you may, if they both receive on the same coax, be able to get a quarter of the channels, recording one, watching the other, but they have to be on the same polarisation and in the same part of the band.

If you have the two tuner/two coax set up, with an appropriate multiple LNB, then you can have both polarisations and bands at the same time, so the world's your oyster for your "record one, watch one".

Some receivers go one further and that with two tuners, you can also record another couple of channels if they're on the same transponders as you're tuned to.

As for ascertaining which is on what transponder...they're listed under frequency. Anything on the same frequency will be received as above. The letter H or V after the frequency says whether it's horizontal or vertical polarisation.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
By chevvron
What a hassle; you poor things.
On my Freeview Humax box, I can record up to four channels whilst watching one, but I never bother as it's also a FreePlay box so I can easily use the EPG to get catchup for the previous 7 days. :twisted:
Sorry I lied; it's 4 channels not 6 that I can record. :oops:
Last edited by chevvron on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.