For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We rarely answer ours, it’s more to record anyone approaching the front door. No need for real time access in that case as it just uploads to the cloud.
Colonel Panic liked this
By rikur_
TheFarmer wrote:I wanted to also put an Arlo cam up that overlooks the airstrip from the bedroom window so I can see the windsock remotely before I commute back home, but I don’t think that’ll work either. :(

You might be pleasantly surprised on that.
Ring is bandwidth intensive as it attempts to stream full HD video at a high frame rate (usually needs ~ 2mbps)
Arlo on the other hand should be quite happy with 200kbps - 300kbps rural broadband - it just uses a lower frame rate (which also helps preserve its battery life).
In the old days we managed to monitor CCTV over ISDN - it's just really about frame rates.
By PeteSpencer
I'm beginning to get interested in this as last month there was a drugs bust on a house 200 yds up the road in our leafy rather nice residential area (large Class A haul three peeps banged up) and apparently county lines dealings going on in the recreation ground behind our house.

I've started to use the burglar alarm every time I leave the house (and getting used to being pulled over every time I set off Tesco and Waitrose's security alarms).

But I'm now thinking of PIR security lights and cameras:

Ring looks good: how do I test to see if my broadband is fast enough?
I guess it should be OK we're FTTC and the cabinet is 100yds away.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Colonel Panic wrote:Go to Speedtest.net and see what your download and upload speeds are.

Many thanks Colonel:
The figures (which I'm afraid on their own are pretty meaningless to me) are:

Ping 22ms
Download 36.6 Mbps
Upload 6.41Mbps.

Would these allow installation of Ring cameras/floods?

TIA

Peter :wink:
By rikur_
Yes. Ring needs an upload speed of 2 - 3mbps.
The other factors to add to the mix are whether you have a good enough wireless connection at your front door, and whether anything else is hogging your upload bandwidth (the main offenders tend to be phones that automatically upload pictures/videos to the cloud). Some routers are better than others at sharing bandwidth effectively between multiple devices.

For those that don't have good broadband, other CCTV solutions will work adequately (e.g. 1 second frame rate) at much lower speeds.
By rikur_
PeteSpencer wrote:But I'm now thinking of PIR security lights and cameras:

PS: A problem that I've had is that the IR from the security cameras makes everything appear like a warm target to the PIR security lights. E.g. a bush blowing in the wind that never previously triggered the PIRs does trigger them when illuminated by the IR of a nightvision CCTV camera.
I haven't found a proper solution to this other than some PIR sensors appear to be impacted, and others not - so just trial and error.
By PeteSpencer
rikur_ wrote:Yes. Ring needs an upload speed of 2 - 3mbps.
The other factors to add to the mix are whether you have a good enough wireless connection at your front door, and whether anything else is hogging your upload bandwidth (the main offenders tend to be phones that automatically upload pictures/videos to the cloud). Some routers are better than others at sharing bandwidth effectively between multiple devices.

For those that don't have good broadband, other CCTV solutions will work adequately (e.g. 1 second frame rate) at much lower speeds.

Looking promising: Our wireless router is just the other side of the wall by the front door(three feet away); close enough for a wired connection to doorbell I guess, but other planned floods/ cameras would be 20metres away:

I guess I could use mains linked internet extender like Solway that I used in a previous property that has ongoing wired or wireless connection from the distant plug.

The more I look at it though it looks like a professional job needed: I guess first stop would be a quote from local outfit who installed the burglar alarm 2 years ago when house was built ; they're a small outfit who are brilliant at answering/responding to any niggles I have.

\Peter
By rikur_
PeteSpencer wrote:The more I look at it though it looks like a professional job needed: I guess first stop would be a quote from local outfit who installed the burglar alarm 2 years ago when house was built ; they're a small outfit who are brilliant at answering/responding to any niggles I have.

Could be a good idea. We've just had our home alarm upgraded to an Eaton I-on40h internet connected alarm. Surprisingly cost effective, and reused existing PIRs/bell boxes. Our CCTV is currently separate, but the I-on40h can also integrate the CCTV to alert you that e.g. the alarm has been triggered complete with CCTV snapshots at the time. You can either remotely reset, or call the neighbours to investigate.
All seems standard stuff to the company that service our alarm.