For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I’m in the market for a new music player thingy.

I can no longer be bothered running wires to speakers so hifi is out. My ears are probs that old and knackered that the benefits of hifi are wasted.

Been looking at Ruark for a one box solution. Mrs Bum insists it has a CD player, player, player.

I would like a DAB radio in the unit.

Any suggestions from the floor.
By Rob P
Remind me what "CDs" are?

Rob P
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
DAB radio, A pile of Carp foisted onto a gullible public so the greedy government can slice and dice the wavebands and flog the balance off to big business. (digital TV, anyone? any lessons learned?)
Also note the "Vinyl revival"...there's a good reason for it! (FIDELITY )...low fidelity is like being "a bit pregnant"
Quite right , the Frequency-response of the human ear declines with age, but the harmonics and sounds out of audible range, affect the tone of what is audible.
FM Stereo is probably the best you'll get.

Good speakers, good transducers....almost anybody can make a decent amp ,easily, nowadays, speakersand pickups are still a bit of a black art. If you insist on wireless, you will probably have to settle for reduced sound-quality. I'll stick with wires. :D
lobstaboy, Kittyhawk liked this
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the idea of the mini hifi. Mrs Bum doesn’t I’m afraid. The speakers parked next to it don’t do it for her.

Perhaps something from the Bose range may fit the bill.
By stevelup
Your options are pretty limited because of the CD requirement.

You could buy several years’ Spotify subscription and a decent modern network speaker for the price of the Bose Wave thing...
By nickwilcock
I have a Bose wave III, obtained when it was on special offer using Lufthansa Miles & More points gained over many years. So it didn't cost me a penny - which given the eye-watering regular price was just as well.

Great sound; it has DAB / DAB+, FM, AM ('medium wave' only), CD (including MP3 tracks on CD-R etc.) and also an AUX input with 3.5mm jack socket. Uses a small remote which is a bit like a thick credit card.

The power cable is also the primary radio antenna, although there are sockets on the back for external antennae. The power cable antenna works OK for most DAB / DAB+, but the external socket is only 2.5mm, so unless you can find an adapter (I couldn't), the external wire antenna supplied with the unit is probably the only other option if the power lead doesn't supply an adequate signal.

The later Bose Wave IV can also include Internet radio at additional cost, but my experience of that medium leads me to suggest that it'd be rather a waste of money.
By Paul_Sengupta
nickwilcock wrote:The later Bose Wave IV can also include Internet radio at additional cost, but my experience of that medium leads me to suggest that it'd be rather a waste of money.

I've listened to a few internet radio stations over the years. This one does pretty good chill out music.

http://www.oceanradiochilled.com/
By vw-dan
I know I'm doing the "this isn't what you asked for" thing, but Sonos + Spotify Subscription. We've never looked back!

All the music and the all the radio you can imagine in the package the size of a small speaker. Even the Play:One which is the cheapest (Though by no means "cheap") is more then enough for our kitchen/diner (Full width of house)