For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
Having changed my dish (broken LNB and rusty dish at new house) I used my cheap satellite finder to align the dish. It has been a bit windy recently and I decided to have a go at fine tuning it, however I have lost it all together and now have a constant reading from the meter even when not connected to the LNB. I've tried different cables, a Sky receiver and a Freesat receiver with the same result. It looks as though the satellite finder is US. However, before buying a new one I thought I'd ask here if there's something I'm missing?

Am I correct in my belief that the meter should only register when receiving a signal from the satellite?

TIA.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are apps for most smart phones which help you to point the dish in roughly the right direction, then adjust the meter sensitivity to approximately mid range and adjust the dish position slowly to maximise the signal. You may need to reduce the sensitivity a couple of times until you find the best position.
Thanks guys', the method is not the unknown, I've done it before. What's happening is that the meter is giving a constant reading irrespective of dish position. Disconnecting the LNB lead from the meter and it still read the same IE when it cannot be getting a satellite signal.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sounds like either the meter is broken, the LNB is broken, or the meter is connected up backwards so you're measuring your STB not the signal from the LNB.