For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PhilE
I have some vouchers to spend at Amazon courtesy of my employers. Thought I'd buy a copy of the above, but can't decide which versions is better. Can anybody help me to stop dithering...?
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FS2004 is better, particularly the weather model. Most of the new add-ons have features that only work in 2004.

There is an update available from Microsoft that fixes a few issues.

Simon,
By BlueRobin
2004. Basically 2002 with a few bells and whistles added so if you're a new SMFS-er, the later version in the one to go for. Wonder if 2006 will be out come late next year?
By MCM
I'd always go with the latest if your hardware spec can cope.

Phil, check PMs.
By PhilE
Thanks, chaps, looks like 2004 gets the popular vote, which gels with some research I've been doing over the weekend.

Now, next question - I've read mixed reviews of the various scenery add-ons. If I wanted, for example, to have a virtual bimble from Shoreham to somewhere like Kemble, or even Old Buck, do the scenery packs make this possible? Presumably, you also need to get the airfields added in as well, or does FS2004 come with lots of airfields by default?
By PhilE
Thanks, MCM, that looks good enough for me!
By Ian Melville
I agree with Mikes add-on scenery but can add a few extras
1. VFR Terrain from Horizon, Better than other similar products
2. UK ANO obstructions (masts, Powerstations etc). Free Download

And if you fly in the SW get
3. Nick Ryall SW Scenery

If you log into the UK VFR scenery forum there is also a lot of other free bits. For example, Autogen trees that fit reality. There is also a lot of info to get the best out of MS2004, the UK VFR Scenery and VFR Terrain mesh

http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/