For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why the all electric eGolf has a heavy 'old style' lead acid battery under the bonnet? Surely the banks of lithium-ion batteries packed under the seats would power everything? Just mentioned this to a friend who has a Leaf, and he says it has a 'traditional' 12v lead acid battery as well. I'm genuinely baffled and confused!

By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apparently, there are a few reasons.
- The traction batteries are isolated when not in use (possibly for safety reasons), so there needs to be something to power always on things, like central locking.
- All the accessories (lights, etc) and safety systems (airbag, ABS etc) are the same for the ICE and EV versions (in the Golf anyway), so require a 12V electrical source. The Lithium battery system in an eGolf is 323V in comparison ( http://media.vw.com/doc/1142/2015_volks ... 87e9c3.pdf ). Other cars are similar - require a low voltage circuit for multiple things, with a 12V standard battery the easiest / cheapest way to achieve this.
Thanks for that Riverrock - I'm still none the wiser, but then I'm not an electrical engineer. You'd think a 12v transformer would be cheaper and, as importantly, lighter - surely the 12v lead acid battery needs a constant charge, which must therefore come from the main battery? It would be ironic if my EV broke down due to a flat battery, despite the 'fuel' tank being fully charged!

I guess therefore that electric aircraft also need an additional 12v battery (with the additional weight issues) for powering radio/transponder/lights etc?
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The 12V battery on my I3 controls, amongst other things, the charging circuit for the main battery. Allows the main battery to be recharged from empty therefore. I presume that's the case for other EV's too.

Incidentally, BMW say you shouldn't try and separately charge the 12V battery - it is charged every time the main battery is charged apparently.