For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I have a spare Cat5e cable buried under the floor which I want to use with a male R12 plug on each end; I understand that RJ45 uses all 8 inner cores, but can I use the same cable and just use 6 of the cores for the RJ12 plugs?

Also, I have a pair of RJ45 pliers / crimpers; it doesn't say whether it does RJ12 as well. Can I assume it will be OK, or should I get a pair of RJ12 pliers also?

Also also; when wiring the plugs, does it matter which cores I use WRT pairs of twisted cores? Or can I just use any 6 of the 8 so long as I am consistent at both ends?

TIA
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cable wise - fine - just don't connect two of the wires.
Which to not use - don't use the brown (so it will then match the standard:
Crimper wise - the sizes are slightly different between the connectors - many crimpers have different positions for each type ( eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/rj45-cutter- ... Twodu9YMDQ )

HTH (note - just pulled those images off the first website I came to - I've not checked them)
Colonel Panic liked this