For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By romille
Why are these companies so utterly delinquent?

I sourced some parts for my Continental A65 in Marne USA, had them sent USPS International Priority on 24 September 2017. By 27 September 2017 the parcel had arrived into and left Heathrow for it's final destination but here I am a week later with no bits or further tracking information. Previously with other international courier firms I have received notification of Import Duty, VAT and handling fee, once paid the item was promptly delivered.

At the same time DPD have managed to get a much larger & heavier parcel from Belgium to my doorstep in a little over two days, is it any wonder Royal Mail Group are losing out and alternative postal & parcel services are thriving.
By romille
United States Postal Service, who on the face of it appear to be very efficient as they managed to get the parcel with detailed tracking to Heathrow in 3 days. Just a pity that once they hand it over to Royal Mail Group it all goes down the pan.
By Gas Guzzler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Same story here, goods sent from Texas within 1 day of ordering, arrived Heathrow 3 days later, spent the last 7 days languishing in Customs at Coventry courtesy of Parcelforce. No contact from them despite email request for information. What the hell does one do now?
By romille
I decided to make a few phone calls, to Royal Mail, Parcelforce, Revenue and Customs and the National Clearing Hub. I am no further forward other than Parcelforce do admit it is their responsibility, but they really do not have a clue as to where it might be, they even went so far as to suggest it might still be in Chicago, despite the information on the USPS tracking.

All I can say is God help us after Brexit and leaving the Customs Union as these clowns will grind imports and exports to a total halt.
By Spooky
Are they holding it for import duty/charges?

I ordered a part from Japan about five years ago. I noticed that it had arrived in the UK but hadn't left the Royal Mail/Parcel Force depot. I called the depot who told me "you need to pay charges on the item but cannot do that until a letter arrives". Thankfully I called again later in the day and a nice lady informed me that they could do payment/paperwork in person. Good thing really, the letter arrived 10 months later!
By romille
Spooky wrote:Are they holding it for import duty/charges?

I ordered a part from Japan about five years ago. I noticed that it had arrived in the UK but hadn't left the Royal Mail/Parcel Force depot. I called the depot who told me "you need to pay charges on the item but cannot do that until a letter arrives". Thankfully I called again later in the day and a nice lady informed me that they could do payment/paperwork in person. Good thing really, the letter arrived 10 months later!

Possibly, but as the man from Parcelforce told me that they do not know where the blooming package is, goodness only knows. The USPS tracking site does not give any clues either as it states "Your item departed a transfer airport in HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM on September 27, 2017 at 10:51 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination".
By romille
I would have expected their performance to be improved now that they are fully privately owned, but it appears that although you are able to take the company out of the public sector, taking the public sector attitude out of the company is much more difficult.
cockney steve liked this
By rikur_
I was very glad to see the demise of City Link .... often we'd be asked to collect our parcels from their Newcastle depot (we're 100 miles away south of York), invariably further away from us than the retailer where they started their travels. They had special invisible vans and drivers that our CCTV was completely unable to detect when they made their delivery attempts. (Presumably their drivers thought our house was too far from their depot, in the same way that we did!).
garethep liked this
By akg1486
The Swedish mail was set up in the 17th century and functioned like clockwork for more than 350 years. Now it's privatized as "PostNord" (Sweden and Denmark) and performs abysmally: bad service and worse finances. Lots of videos on Youtube with employees tossing parcels on the grund, etc.

Civil servants turned managers on a market have no clue what they're doing. "New Public Management" has a lot to answer for.
By romille
I have an embargo on buying from anyone that uses Yodel to deliver, seems like Parcelforce might be getting added to the list, as this is not the first time they have let me down.
By Bill McCarthy
On quite a few occasions when needed, Andy at Wick could get spares from the USA within a week. He has retired now, but he has a good replacement.
By johnm
Parcelfarce
Drop it Hide it Lose it
Undelivered Parcel Store

Any advance.......